3:03am - Darcy Evans

My body pressed against the tile floor of my small, bedroom bathroom.  The chill of the floor seeped into my bones, my joints pulsating with ache.  The medicine cabinet swayed as though it were dancing to music. Back and forth it swayed along with the toiletries it contained.  The Medicine.  I attempted to grasp the side of the bathtub and pull myself into upright position.  But my arms were unmoving, like I had lost control of them.  I stared at them both resting at each side of my body.  They felt as though they weren’t mine.

               I tried to move but my body would not budge.  I felt constricted, as if I was in a horror movies, where the protagonist is fully conscious, but cannot escape and is slowly and excruciatingly done away with.

               I struggled to move as I silently cried.  No tears fell from my eyes.  Was I already dead?  I fought more and more trying to escape the force field which kept me taught in this very spot.

               The anxiety filled my body as I yelled and cried but was unable to move my lips or make even a shriek.  I felt my heart pound as I struggled more and more, fighting the power whom held me down.

               “What’s the matter?” it whispered, “Isn’t this what you craved for, what you wanted for all along,”

               I felt helpless. “This is the end, isn’t it?”

               “All you wanted was to get away from it all,”

               “I did,” I cried

               “And you are,”

               I eased myself and took a deep breath.  I laid there, unmoving, for several minutes as my heartbeat slowly reduced.  Darkness slowly consumed my view as my eyes began to close.

               I was finally numb.

               Suddenly I heard the slam of a door and the cold feeling of hard tile was quickly replaced with a warmth I could not recognize.

               And then, my heartbeat stop.