[18.] Have Fun Boys

L E O N V A R G A S

*~*

"LEON GET READY, the company will never run properly if you're slacking so early in the morning," Anthony says sternly.

"Anthony we came here to spend time with the kids not boss them around like that," Melissa says gently. I send my mother a grateful smile. "And not for you to go to work everyday," Melissa adds on.

"The company is important to me Melissa," Anthony practically whines.

"You haven't gotten to spend time with Ludmila," Melissa reminds him.

"I've still got plenty of time,"

I internally groaned. My parents would be leaving in a few weeks but I knew that they would back in five months. Anthony would want to be there to sign the contract or to make sure that I did. He was not one to miss such an important business meeting.

Francesca had already left for work since an urgent case had come up. I should've been gone as well but I was trying to prolong the first day with Gery in the office as long as I could. I could learn to like Gery if her presence wasn't threatening everything I loved in life.

Dramatic I know.

I realised I couldn't stall any longer and went upstairs to change into a suit. It was dark blue and I used a grey tie. After putting on my polished black shoes I checked my hair before trudging downstairs.

"About time," Anthony drawls, and Melissa laughs, hitting his arm lightly.

"Have fun boys!" Melissa calls as we go to the garage.

The drive to the office building was silent as always. I refused to talk to him any more than necessary. Sometimes I couldn't even begin to fathom how he could look at himself in the mirror, and smile at my mother when he knew what he was doing.

He even had the audacity to talk to Francesca as if he wasn't planning our breakup behind her back.

"I'll just need to make a card before I let you up there," I hear Alicia tell somebody as I enter the building.

I look up from my phone checking my emails and see Gery leaning across the counter, her facial expression showed annoyance. Alicia sighed in relief as she saw me.

"What's happening?" I ask, tucking my phone into my back pocket.

"Your receptionist doesn't want to let me through," Gery says irritatedly.

My father took Gery's side immediately -the disappointment that he is- and scolded my receptionist. She paled instantly, obviously scared of the look. I rolled my eyes at my father, fighting the urge to tell him that he can't scold my workers.

"Thank you, Alicia. It is because of you that there is order," I step in flashing her a smile. She smiles gratefully and Gery huffs.

Alicia gets the card from the printer, and attaches it to a band to go around her neck and hands it to her. Gery gives her a fake smile and snatches it, putting it around her neck.

"This one lasts for one month before I will have to make a new one," Alicia explains and Gery nods, although she wasn't listening. She was too busy staring at her photograph.

"Well then, let's go to my floor," I say trying to ease the awkward tension.

In the elevator Gery not-so-subtly tried to move closer to me, trying to rub her leg against mine. I tried moving away in small distances, but stopped when I realised I was about to bump into my father. He was oblivious to this.

"Morning Devon!" I call and she returns the greeting.

"Is this Gery?" She asks doing a quick scan of Gery's appearance.

Devon didn't know about the possible arranged marriage but I had informed her that Gery would be helping around wherever possible. She would be given small, almost manual tasks that didn't involve too much knowledge of the business. It would be impossible to fill her in to get to a stage where she knew as much as Devon or Alicia.

"Oh and Mr Vargas!" Devon says hurriedly. Both Anthony and I turn to look.

"I organised the office for Mr Anthony Vargas like you requested. We cleaned up one of the old rooms," Devon says and I almost smirk in happiness.

"Dad, let me show you your temporary office!" I say excitedly.

I was beyond fed up with having Anthony in the same room as me for so many hours of the day. I had asked Devon to clear up an old printing room and get a desk and chairs and a bookshelf with any necessary books and files. It would have to do for my father for the short time that he would be visiting.

"You got me an office?" Anthony asks curiously.

"Yes, I figured since you'll be visiting more often I should give you your own working space," I explain, trying to stop myself from just plainly saying 'you sicken me'.

The office looked nice, almost cozy. I was waiting for my father to ask why I hadn't given him the proper manager office. It was an impulsive thing he would ask. But maybe he had thought ahead and realised that I actually work her everyday and need the best office. Not the guy who's trying to make decisions without thinking them through.

He had given me a talk that it was because of my decisions like; letting the staff play music while the worked (it boosts happiness and motivation), going out with the staff once every few months to let loose (I wanted to make sure we had a connection) and letting them occasionally talk back to me (I wanted to make it seem like even though I was their boss, I could handle criticism and that I could in fact be their somewhat friend) — would eventually result in the business failing.

His decisions which were basically a silent office (to avoid distractions), dictating tasks and telling them how to do it (so that they were done on time but he was decreasing their motivation which I disagreed on which I was I let them do it how they saw fit) and making sure that he was -to put it simply- an asshole of a boss — is why the business was where it was today.

So he chose being an autocratic boss, and where did that get me?

Getting forced to marry Gery McEvil Pants.

-

Hi! So the main part of the story is coming. There will probably only be  two or  three more chapters of Leon before it's Francesca to kind of give it some mystery.

The next chapter will be how Gery is in the workplace! I realised I started using some of the things I learnt in Business at the end...haha. And, the book is ending in plus minus six chapters I guess. But I may add a bonus chapter, since I feel like I rushed the end.

Thanks for reading 🙈 Sorry for any errors 💚

~Lexy 😈