An Answered Prayer

As he fired his gun, killing the goose they’d have for Thanksgiving dinner, only one thought stuck in Gaius Montgomery’s mind: Dewy’s seat would once again be empty. He’d hoped the boy would've return by now. His last letter greeted them, explaining he was in Louisiana and that he was on horseback. Maybe the boy, if he was still alive, would make it before November, but with that being only two days away, he didn’t want to give the idea any merit.

“What’s on your mind dear?” Tilly came outside in her work dress and shawl when she saw he had a goose by the neck, ready to clean.

“I was praying Dewy would have made it home by now.” He said as he raised his axe to begin the butchering. The sun was just peeking over the horizon. “I suppose we can wait and see if he makes it back before Christmas.”

“Gaius, I wish you’d perk up a bit. I don’t like seeing you so morose and introspective.” Tilly whispered as she watched him prepare the goose.

“I was too hard on the lad.” He admitted.

Never one to mince words, Tilly responded in her quiet manner. “Yes, you were, but living in the past won’t change the present. If you’ve asked the Almighty to forgive you, then He already has. All you have to do now is make it right with our son. If his letters were any indication, he’s remorseful as well.” With a sigh to restrain the tears that tugged at the corner of her eye, Tilly changed the subject. “The girls are coming with the children in a bit. I’d like to get that goose on early so we can eat this afternoon. I’m proud of you, Gaius.” She kissed his cheek and went back inside.

Her prayers had been answered, even if Dewy didn’t arrive home in time for Thanksgiving.

~~~~~

Philip knocked on the door of the Jenkins’ home. He wanted a word with Emma. The past month or so, he’d come to really care for her. He’d learned of her wounded heart firsthand, and made strides to comfort her in her grief. Now, he wanted to court her, but wasn’t sure if she would accept.

“Why, hello Philip! What a surprise?” Mrs. Jenkins, in her baking apron, answered the door.

“Hello, Mrs. Jenkins! I came to visit on my way home for the Thanksgiving meal. Is Emma available?” He asked politely, dreaming on the petite woman and her sweet temperament.

He feared the answer even as Mary Jenkins shook her head. “She’s in no state to receive company.” Mary Jenkins knew all too well the reasons: Clem and Joseph. Mary fought her own emotions, while plastering a pleasant smile to her visage.

“Do convey my heartfelt condolences and sympathies. I’m sure this is a difficult day for the entire family. How thoughtless…”

“Mr. Montgomery!” Emma’s voice interrupted his apology. At her shaky voice, his head snapped up to view her at the top of the stairwell. “I’m so glad you came.”

He thought he was seeing a vision of an angel as she stood there. She seemed to float as she came down.

“Very well, then. I will continue my baking if you are able to entertain for a while. I’ll bring out some lemonade and cookies.” Mary walked back to her kitchen, unsure whether to be distracted by the unexpected caller or happy for her daughter.

“I was just on my way to Ma and Pa’s for the Thanksgiving meal and thought I’d stop by to see to your welfare.” He smiled when he met her at the base of the stairs, offered his arm, and led her to the parlor where they were in view. “How are you fairing today?”

“This is a most difficult day for our family. We all miss Clem so much, and Joseph, too. His mother and father stopped by only last evening to see about us. Oh, Philip. I sometimes wonder…” She sniffed, bowed her head, and wiped the tears with her handkerchief. He patted her other hand, offering silent support. “I apologize.”