Looking Down the Road

“Have you heard from the wayward boy lately?” Gaius Montgomery asked his bride over breakfast. He still considered Tilly his bride even though they’d been married for nearly thirty years. The love grew with every year. They’d been arranged, but soon found that a love had grown between them and by the time they were wed, Gaius could not imagine life without her.

“I was going to check today. He’s been writing to Miss Townsend as well, hoping to salvage what they had before he left. I believe he’s thinking of returning here. Gaius, I want my son to come home.” She paused, eyeing his expression, which was blank. “Are you willing to allow him back?”

“I can’t say either way right now, Tilly. I’ve been doing much praying about the boy. I’m thankful he survived. I have to be honest with you, though. It’s hard to forgive him. He hurt you. He wounded my heart too, but no one makes my bride cry. If he knew how you wept; how much you’d prayed… I find it difficult to let that go.”

“Even our Lord forgave, Gaius, and while he was dying. You have to forgive. It only hurts you, causing bitterness to lodge itself deep in the cracks of your heart, to the point where you won’t, forgive. Gaius, our son is alive. Look around at the devastation this war has caused and tell me you’d rather he be dead.”

“You know that’s not how I feel…” He replied a little too loudly, pounding the table with his fist. Anxiety stirred his features, ocean tempests raged in his deep blue eyes.

Tilly’s permanently soft response banked his anguish. “I know. But think about the Jenkins. They never get to see Clem’s face again. They never get to see him marry or hold his children. We’re blessed. There’s so much we have to be grateful for, and the fact that Dewy is alive ought to cause you to hit your knees in thanksgiving for it.”

“What about Mary? Where’s she? Her husband went off to war too and now she’s raising three young’uns without him. If it weren’t for his family, she might not have anything. How’s that a blessing?”

“She has their children and God saw fit to give her a good family to help her. And she has us. I help every chance I get.  I agree that the war was wrong, but let’s not change the subject. We’re talking about Dewy coming home. Joseph is gone. Clem is gone. Half the people in Comfort have lost their men. We have our boy and he wants to make it right. Gaius John Montgomery…” His full name from Tilly’s beautiful mouth gave him pause. Her eyes, barely holding the tears at bay, begged him to see reason and allow their boy to come home.

“Alright, Tilly, I’ll think on it.” Standing, he pulled her to him, circling her waist with one arm while the other gently put her head on his shoulder. The dam holding her salty tears burst against him, wetting his shirt.

~~~~~

After a brief rest for both man and beast, Dewy packed his gear and saddled up. He had to head south and west as he aimed for home.

“Home. Do I even have one to go back to?” He questioned out loud, while walking his horse. He’d written another letter to his mother, telling her all of the goings-on in his travels. He remembered fondly the people who’d helped him, and prayed for those who didn’t, or couldn’t help, along the way. A letter to the Monroes was in order just as soon as he was settled in Comfort again. He still didn’t know where that would be. So many questions continued to plague his thoughts.

He urged Bess into a trot and rode that way for half a day before stopping. Louisiana was hot and humid. He’d have to rest and water her much more often so she could keep moving. Horses were meant to ride, but not so much that they too fell from the heat.

The pungent smell of his horse’s sweat caused his first battle to race before his eyes.