Richard

CHAPTER 3

"Hey Richard!" Mackenzie greeted with a warm smile.

"Hi, What's up?" Richard gave her a smile. He was pleased to see her lovely face as always.

Mackenzie cuckled in amusement.

"You know, it doesn't suits you. How have you been?" said Mackenzie taking a seat beside Richard. She held his left hand and kissed it. She stared lovingly at him.

"I'm doin' great, LOL, don't be a killjoy, you just don't want to admit that I can speak like that better than you, YOLO" Richard teased reaching his free hand to caress the side of Mackenzie's face.

"Stop it Richard, I don't even speak like that" Mackenzie laughed.

"You don't? I thought that's the way young people talked right now" Richard frowned genuinely confused.

"Yeah, but not me" Mackenzie shook her head with a smile.

Richard watched Mackenzie with a smile. He wants to make her happy just like him, whenever she visits him. Mackenzie is the light in his life since Laura passed away. It was hard at first but with the help of this young girl, he became better. He remembered the night when they found Mackenzie. She sat under a tree hugging her knees while crying.

Richard and Laura were walking around enjoying the night when they saw her. Richard was reluctant to approach the girl at first but Laura didn't waste any second thought and immediately made her way to the girl.

They asked her questions. Mackenzie said that she was 18 years old and that she doesn't have anywhere to stay. She was an orphan but unfortunately, the children that reached adulthood age should immediately be independent and live on their own. The growing number of children in the orphanage didn't help either.

Mackenzie said that it was hard for her to find a job. She didn't had enough time to find a job before she was kicked out of the orphanage.

They decided to let Mackenzie stay at them until she found herself a job. In return, the young lady gave them the most beautiful smile they had ever seen. On one second then, Richard wondered how many boys will fall under her feet. The girl is too sweet and pretty for her own good.

It was two years since they found her and since then, Richard didn't regret letting her stay with them. He knew Laura was very happy too. They had been childless since they got married. They tried to have a child but always failed. Later on, they accepted that they will never have one. they decided to just enjoy each others company. They didn't have enough money to adopt either.

Even when Mackenzie found a job, she never forgot about them. They insisted of her staying with them but she refused since she already has a job. Mackenzie visits them everyday until now. They are so lucky God blessed them someone like Mackenzie.

"How are you feeling right now?" Mackenzie broke Richard out of his thoughts.

"I'm better" Richard avoided Mackenzie's gaze. He didn't want to lie but she already have done so much for them, for him. He could not ask for anything more. He just wished for this girl to find something or someone that will make her truly happy before leave. He wants to see it himself.

"Good!" Mackenzie's smile widened. She was just glad that Richard is now feeling better.

"Mackenzie?" Richard got her attention.

"Yes?" Mackenzie leaned her head on Richard's shoulder. He was lying on his bed.

"You should stop buying me those expensive medicines. I can do good without those" Richard tried again to persuade the girl but just like everytime, she refuses. He hates to see her eyes with tears but he can't let Mackenzie spend more money on him. She should live her life like normal young people do, not wasting her time here taking care of him.

"No, Richard how many times do I have to tell you that I'm going to help you no matter what. This is what I like so let me help you" Mackenzie said sternly.

"But Mackenzie-"

"I said no!, I don't want you to give up. Please don't leave me. Don't worry about the money, Richard" Mackenzie's voice cracked and the tears rolled down.
How can he say that? He can't leave me! I refused to let him leave me. He's all I've got now.

Richard hugged the girl tightly. He cannot bear to see her eyes full of tears. They held so much sadness. This girl helped him so much. He hates to repay her by leaving. It's just a matter of time. He's tired. Peace, is what he wanted. He can find that with Laura. He wants to see Laura.

"Okay" Richard said holding Mackenzie close to him. He felt like a burden. She was the best child they have ever had and she always will be.

Mackenzie moved away and looked at Richard. She gave him a small smile while wiping away the tears that had fallen.

"Do you want anything? I'm free for another hour before work" said Mackenzie.

"I'm good, you better take care of yourself first before me" said Richard looking up at her.

"Okay, I'll cook you something!" Mackenzie was back to her cheerful self. She hurriedly went out of the room and made her way towards the kitchen. Richard only able to shake his head with a smile. This girl never listens.

"That girl..."

***

It was five o'clock when Mackenzie begun working. She'll finished at nine o'clock. There were not much customers that night so Mackenzie and May had so much time talking about what happened later that afternoon. Mackenzie wanted to laugh so hard at her best friend's reaction.

Her jaw was on the ground and she was staring at Mackenzie wide-eyed. May can't believe that her best friend was so lucky to meet Alexander Wescott with not so much effort at all. She insisted on going to Macknzie's apartment to caress the ground that Alexander walked on. May even sniffed the door knob. She looked so hilarious, Mackenzie was laughing on her couch watching her best friend.

The moment came that Mackenzie has been waiting for, it was when May begged for the autograph and picture. Mackenzie took her time teasing May but May couldn't do anything because the most precious things in her life right now is in Mackenzie. Mackenzie smirked at her best friend.

"You're so cruel" May said after she got the autograph and pictures. She will definitley cut Mackenzie's face from this picture. She'll put hers in there, May thought.

"But you love me" Mackenzie teased.

"Not anymore" May stuck her tongue out. Mackenzie laughed.

"I better go, it's already late" May glared at her best friend playfully.

"It's not my fault you didn't beg enough" Mackenzie smirked.

"Whatever, bye" May went out of the door. Mackenzie smiled then sighed.

She fell back on her bed. This day was interesting. Who would have thought that she'll meet Alexander Wescott just like that? She laughed out loud. She remembered Alexander's nervous posture before she decided to drag him towards her apartment. She was contemplating if saving Alexander from those girls was worth it or not. It was just funny to see him looking so nervous. He was always handsome and perfect to all of his pictures. On one second then, she thought he might pee his pants right then and there. She smiled then closed her eyes.

----------------------

Thank you guys for reading this story!

@tsundokuly-

@charmedbutsober

thank you for commenting!

Please VOTE and COMMENT