CHAPTER 6

Ruby had heard everything

Ruby had heard everything. She sat in the corner of the tight and creepy room, feeling a little claustrophobic. A million thoughts spiralled through her mind. She thought of her parents, and her sisters, and her friends, and her aunts and uncles. Then she squinted as the heavy door was pulled open, light pouring into the room.

"Ruby?" Isaac whispered.

She let out a whimper, hiding her face behind her hands and crying out, "Please! Please don't hurt me!"

"Shh." He approached her, slowly and carefully, then crouched down, his face close to hers. "I'm going to get you out of here."

She eyed him suspiciously, sniffling. "H-How are you gonna do that?"

He reached into his pocket and took out the dagger he'd hidden. She flinched, her eyes wide with horror. He nearly laughed. "Relax," he smirked. He handed it to her, and then his expression hardened again. "I'm going to find Krysta. We'll figure out a plan. Stay here, alright? I'll be back."

"Wait!" she cried.

Isaac looked over his shoulder, waiting for her to say something. She glanced at the weapon, sharp and lethal, laying in her hands. "What... What's this for?"

"In case anything goes wrong. Use it to defend yourself, even if it has to be used on me. Understood?"

She nodded, her body trembling and filled with fear. He nodded back at her, and with that he left, leaving the door unlocked.

****

Parker and Krysta were quick to react when Isaac informed them what was going on. He'd told them everything - from the things Kylie had said to the fact that she'd hidden the human in the cellar. All three came to a conclusion; Jaxon had a significant role in this.

The plan was as followed: Krysta would distract Jaxon, Parker would distract Kylie, and Isaac would go to the basement to sneak Ruby out. Then the next day, they'd leave early, before anyone found out that the human wasn't there anymore. They would never come back.

Thus, Krysta made her way to the kitchen, where Jaxon sat alone at the dinner table, grinning as always and reading a book. He heard her step in with the creaks of the old floor and glanced up at her, smiling. "Hello, Krysta."

She didn't smile back. "Hi Jaxon."

"Are we here to discuss Kylie?"

Krysta nearly froze in place. She stared at him for a while, then sat down, slowly and cautiously. "Yes, actually."

He grinned at her, putting down his book. "I thought so. I could sense your presence." There was a long pause as Krysta looked around uncomfortably, shifting awkwardly in her seat. "Ah, Krysta." Jaxon continued, "Don't worry about her. She can make her own decisions, you know."