Chapter 4

I dried my self off and sat in the lawn chair the people had provided me with, since they didn't want the couch to get wet. They sat there, staring at me the same way they had when I told them I was a mermaid. I bet their minds were recovering from the explosion from when they blew up. "This...can't be real." The man said getting up and putting his hands to his head. "What are you're names again?" I asked, forgetting I didn't ask them. "Oh! My name is Stephanie, and that's Jared." Said the woman, not as in shock as Jared. "I'm...going insane!" Jared mumbled to himself. "This.. is ...impossible..." I groaned at him. "Pinch yourself, you're not dreaming bub." He stopped and actually pinched him self. He winced and fell face first into the couch. He stayed silent for a while. "Um..." I said concerned. Did he just faint? "He's fine." Said Stephanie, reading my thoughts. "He's just processing this, he doesn't really believe in fantasy and stuff like I do."

"Then why did you marry him?" I asked. This made Jared sit up straight and Stephanie to sit frozen like a statue. "Um...we're...not married." Jared said, his face turning red. "Oh.. Are you dating?" That made him cover his face with his hands. "No...We're friends, we're just staying here for a while. To get away from the busy streets of New York City. She invited me to come along because she said I needed to release some...stress." Jared said glaring at Stephanie who was smirking at him. "Right..." I said. We all kind of sat there for a while. "Now what?" I asked. They shrugged. "You walked in, why don't you walk out." Said Jared pointing to the door. "Stephanie glared at him. "J! You can't send her back into the city! You almost called the police! Someone might do it and she'll have to go back to that horrible lab!" She turned to me. "We are going to keep you." Jared stood up. "What! We can't take care of a kid off the street! How do you know we can trust her! She has a mermaid tail!" Now it was my turn to glare at him. "Because I can trust her, and we don't have a choice." Jared sat down on the couch and crossed his arms like a child who had lost an argument. "Fine." I smiled at them. "I can stay?" Stephanie nodded. "If you don't mind me writing a book about you, I promise I won't include any information. I never do anyway." I nodded. "Anything." She gleamed at me. "Oh! We're going to have to get you new clothes, shoes, maybe an air mattress for your room, oh! And enroll you in school!" My smile faded. "School?"

Hey guys! Sorry this was a short chapter, there wasn't much to say after revealing her secret to Stephanie and Jared. But I really wanted to end it off with her realizing she was going to school. I can't wait to see how that turns out! I might even add some of the scientists view of everything. Their reaction to Rebecca running away, trying to find her, stuff like that. I'll try to upload it soon!