Chapter 4

Doringham: 9:00

Mist settles all around the bench on which Jonas lays. He stirred...and awoke... The morning was fresh around him. Birds were beginning to chirp, a small breeze blew, and the sun was beginning to shine over the trees. The morning was cold though. Very cold. And though it was the middle of summer, there was frost on the grass. Jonas couldn't take time to ponder this though. He had sat up. He had opened his eyes. And he had thought. 

Memories flooded back in a violent rush of emotion, surprise, and hopelessness. The emotions were so strong that he couldn't even cry. His face just froze in a silent scream. He fell. It took only a second to hit the ground but it felt like years. Once on the cold hard ground he just lay there and then, only then, did the tears come. He had not loved those people. He had hated them. Yet, the blood that he had seen, the viscera that had been witnessed, and all on another human. That was what made him cry so. That is what made him feel this pain. Most of all it was that it could really happen. Life was not a game.  

Hours passed. Eventually the tears stopped. Eventually he got the strength to stand up again. It was 12:00 in the afternoon now. And he looked down at the park bench on which he had slept. He grabbed his bag and he walked away. Down the street. One mile. Two miles. Three miles. He stopped. He was at the other end of town. Sigh. He lay down on the grass outside of a post office and thought. He tried not to think of the blood but instead he though of what happened before it. School. The chalk. The...the...The Thing. He didn't know what to call it. A power? Magic? A hallucination? It was all very confusing. He sighed once more. There had to be a way to test it. He stared at a piece of grass on the side of the post office. The grass was about 5 feet away. He thought hard about just the grass. Harder. Harder! Nothing. He put his hand out and this time thought of the grass, pulling itself out of the grass. A second passed. Two. Three. The grass wiggled. Until, in an explosion of dirt it shot out of the ground at the speed of a bullet. It sailed up into the sky before stopping and sailing back down. It landed a few feet from Jonas. He smiled. And fainted. Yep. Life wasn't a game at all...