Moving In

'So...what do you think?' My mother turned to smile at me hopefully.

I turned my head away from the window I had been glaring out for the past half hour, to scowl at her. 'It's hideous.' I said.

'Harmony, please try to have some respect. David spent a lot of money on buying this home for us.' She said before turning away from me and stepping out of the car, slamming the door behind her.

I glanced through the windshield once more up at the house looming over me. It was a large, old, Victorian style house with high, pointed roofs and a flight of stairs leading up to a veranda, encased in delicate looking railings. It may have been pretty, if the circumstances were different.

I sighed, getting out of the car and walking over to where my mother and David stood waiting for me.

'Hey Harm! How are you?' David asked me eagerly, releasing my mother’s hand to give me a hug.

'Don't call me that.' I said, dodging away from his open arms.

My mother gave me a reproachful look and David's arms fell, following his expression.

'Well, better get our stuff inside then.' He said awkwardly. 'You're rooms upstairs Harmony, just down the hall from the attic stairs, need any help with your suitcase?'

'I'm fine.' I replied rudely, marching over to grab my suitcase from the car then pushing through the large, french doors he had pointed to. No matter how polite David was, I couldn't bring myself to like the man that my mother had married, only six months after my father’s death. They had met on some dating website, and her, needing the money, had married the rich, older businessman just months after they met.

The inside of the house was huge and impeccably clean, with white walls, and rich, mahogany furniture contrasting beautifully. Expensive looking paintings embellished the walls and small ornaments were placed about the rooms, adding to the theme. Despite all of this the house was like an expensive hotel, while elegant and attractive, it lacked the comforting sense of a home. 

My room was large and plain, with high ceilings and white, panelled walls. It was furnished with a queen size bed in the centre, a matching wooden dresser and a small bookcase in the corner. The room also had a large, walk in closet and a doorway leading to the bathroom in the next room.  I set about putting my clothes in the closet and arranging the few books that I had brought with me in the bookshelf. I finished with hanging a painting my mother had done on a hook in the wall. The painting was of autumn, with almost bare trees, overlooking a small, winding river, their orange leaves floating gently to the ground. My mother used to paint every day, hoping to become a famous artist. David had diminished this dream, saying that she should try to accomplish something that would help her financially in life. She took his words to heart and stopped painting to look for other careers. It made me sad to see her no longer do the thing she loved.

I went to stand by the window, gazing down through the glass. The window's view held perfectly manicured lawns and graceful weeping-willows dipping their leaves into the waters of the small lake that they surrounded. A small, handmade swing, hung from one of the branches, amongst the shadows of the tree, swaying slightly in the breeze.

‘Probably from the previous owners’ I thought.  David knew I was too old for swings.

Looking through the window had reminded me of the promise my mother had made to buy me new curtains and other decorations for my room tomorrow. I went downstairs to check that we were still going.

I found my mother in the kitchen chopping vegetables for dinner and David sitting at the counter chatting with her.

'Are we still going shopping tomorrow?' I asked her, ignoring his greeting.

'I'm afraid you're going to have to wait until the weekend,' she said, adding the carrots to the bubbling pot on the stove.

'Why? There's nothing else to do, the house was already set up when we got here.' I replied, folding my arms.

'Actually, Sarah and I have already enrolled you in school, you're starting tomorrow!' David beamed at me.

'But I just got here!' I protested.

'We thought you should get to know some people, instead of sitting around here for a week' He said.

'But I don't have any books and I don't know what to wear!'

'We've already bought all your supplies. And it’s a private school so there's a uniform, no need worry about that.' David smiled and reached onto the chair beside him to grab a bag, outstretching his arm to hand it to me.

'Yay...' I muttered sarcastically, snatching the bag from him and stomping back up the stairs to my room. I chucked the bag of uniforms into a corner then lay on my bed to bury myself in a book. Only going downstairs for dinner, which was a quick, silent affair.

When I finally fell asleep, thoughts of my school and this house lingered in my mind, transforming into nightmares of snobby rich kids and a girl, swinging silently on that eerie swing by the lake.

*Authors Note*

I havn't written anything in ages but I hope this was okay. It's only the first chapter so there wasn't any man eating eating dragons or handsome werewolfs that fall in love with the main character as soon as he smells her or whatever, (neither of them things are going to actually be in there, sorry to disapoint)

Anyway, keep reading cause it will get more intresting. I'm actaully basing some of the things that happen on true strories that my friend has told me, pretty sure her house pants-crappingly haunted.

Have a lovely day and remeber to lick the elbow of the next person you see :D

Saphire-Rose