Hey Girl

Stefani waits in the lobby of her apartment building. Florence didn't really give her a set time that she would arrive, and they didn't have each other's number so neither could text to talk. She's dressed down, wearing spectacles with thick frames, the ones Brandon wore. She didn't bother with contacts.

The paparazzi don't bother snapping a photo from behind the glass, and when she first arrives, there are about five of them. They fizzle eventually after watching her sit and look around aimlessly for a good twenty minutes. They didn't notice when Florence arrived even with her striking hair and typical witchy wardrobe.

She slips in taking small steps, looking elegant in just jeans and a blouse. Stefani felt a little jealous of her poise. All saw Florence as this heaven-sent angel of grace, and they saw Stefani as a dark, sexy minx. And fair enough, she was. She was a seductress, she was a homewrecker, she was a bit of a cheat too, if cheating Taylor into an unfruitful relationship counted. Maybe that's why love didn't work so well for her. It was clear after a month of not having a fiancé.

Florence makes her way over while Stefani turns her phone on, making use of the lobby wi-fi to pick up some notifications from overnight before leaving. She half expects Taylor isn't going to text her anymore. She accepts it, but in her heart, she's so against the idea of him letting her go. The red-haired girl plops herself down beside her friend as they exchange greetings. Stefani's free hand goes for the slimmer woman's and holds it.

Her phone buzzes repeatedly and she looks down to read the notifications. The first one to pop up is a message. She's one part relieved, fifteen parts spiralling quickly into depression.

Taylor:

"Everything ok today?" 11:15 pm

Stefani feels her heart sink and she lets go of Florence, who is trying to peek over and see what was keeping her busy. She couldn't read the tiny text but asked about it. Stefani says it's nothing. But it's her daily message from Taylor, and she forgot to reply before going to bed. They did this everyday, an he still texted her even after everything.

Never mind. He would understand. No, he didn't need to. They weren't together, and it didn't really matter replying "okay" anyway. It was better to ignore him so he could forget about her.

Florence watches the smaller girl lost in her own world, big eyes hooded as she looks inside the shop with a set smile. A big part of her was amiss, she just wasn't the Stefani people knew. Florence slings her arm around the shorter girl's shoulder and watches her react. She looks up curiously, bumping into her shoulder, or upper arm, due to their height difference. And Florence wasn't extremely tall, Stefani was just extremely short.

They make their way in and out of shops, keeping lowkey and it seemed like everyone knew them, yet wanted to give them their privacy. No one took pictures except a few who sneaked a shot or two, and no one approached them.

Soon enough, Stefani was talking and so Florence felt comfortable enough to joke around and chat with her. Stefani felt pressured to enunciate every word and expand her use of vocabulary since her friend spoke eloquently. They both cussed a lot, that's for sure, but Florence sounded so professional, so... perfect.

They went to different cafés from breakfast to lunch, and by that time, it was like they'd been lifelong friends. They learnt a lot about each other and they were very different. But it worked. Were they differed wasn't something political or crucial. It was little things, like their choice in pizza toppings. They hung out at Stefani's place and cooked dinner, then they headed out, now dressed up. They wore nothing too scandalous, Stefani wearing a pair of tiny shorts and a shirt while lending Florence something similar with a cardigan to top it off.