Chapter 2. Beauty - Aoife

'My brave warriors! My friends!' said a deep voice. All the noise suddenly stopped. Nobody dared to interrupt that dark silence and they were all concentrated on this man, their leader.

'On this day, we defeated the Romans, we once again. With such courage and skill it will not take much time, my friends, until when we will celebrate our victory in the heart of Rome!' Everybody raised their glasses and roared triumphantly.' Let the celebrations finally begin!!'

The music started to play, and they all begin to rejoice. The drinks were being brought and different kind of food was set on wooden tables. The atmosphere was relaxed, playful, everyone forgot about the war that was led earlier and give in to the enjoyment and fun.

'Ahh...' said lazily Vercingetorix 'another day, another fight, another win. And this time we showed those savages who is superior on the battlefield. Even, this time we didn't lose a lot of people. It's all thanks to you! My best and most skilled warrior! 'said Vercingetorix turning to Aedan. He was not paying any attention to him. His gaze was focused into the distance. His thoughts were focused only on her. On his Aoife.

First love from his childhood. She was the prettiest girl in the whole village. Everyone admired her, all men wanted to have her and all the girls envy her. He was deeply in love with her. As children they promised each other that they would that will be together forever. But fate had other plans for them. Forbidden love. She is now promised to another. That is what been decided and it is a rule that must be obeyed. Every day his heart was breaking at the thought of not having her or not being able to touch her. They were forbidden to each other even though the love was mutual. How many times he thought about escape. He was ready to leave everything for her, to break all the rules. But she was not. Although she loved him, she couldn't go against the elders and their decision.

Now her beautiful blue eyes met his. His heart was choked with pain and he had a feeling that it will burst. 'Aedan!!!' coming out of the trance he returned to reality and quickly turned to his leader, who was sitting next to him. 'Forgive me my lord, my thoughts drifted away.' said with regret in his voice. 'You already know that she was promised to another...' glancing at her and quickly returning to Aedan.

Aedan was silent. So Vercingetorix continued 'Love is like war, easy to begin but hard to end. I know. I know it very well!! I was young once, in love!!Ahhh...' said remembering his youth 'I was a fool!! Love is weakness, which is eating away everything until there is nothing left of you but an empty shell. It's better to put out the fire before it burns all around you.' He was right! Aedan was warrior, ruthless, he does not need love.

'Women are there to satisfy us. Once you start looking around you will be able to see how many pleasures you could have. How both beautiful and seductive woman exists and to be with them, you do not have to love them. 'said Vercingetorix with a smirk.

He understood what he had to do. He had to forget. Like it or not. The sun slowly rose above the hills. It was a new dawn. As the first rays of sun hit his face, he felt peace. Inside himself he prayed to the gods that this peace remains.