The New One

"He isn't back yet," The mistress said, troubled, while staring out the window, as though it would make her favorite tamed come back. Suddenly one of her guards burst through the door.

"Mam, the prisoner is escaping!"

"Incompetent fools!" the mistress growled while running down the steps to the foyer. "You can't even guard one prisoner!" In the foyer, a girl of about 15 was facing  3 guards who were blocking the door. She looked beat up but wasn't backing down. In fact, she was grinning.

"It's three against one boys, get three more of you and this might be fair!" she said haughtily.

"Let's balance those odds then," said the mistress, venom in her voice. The girl looked up and the color drained from her face. The mistress descended the final steps and walked calmly towards the girl. The girl didn't even try to move. "What's your name, little one?"

"T-Teresa, Tess"

"That was quite impressive Tess. You made it all the way out here and probably would've escaped too, if it weren't for me showing up. You carry the confidence and skill I need in a person right now. Let's make a deal. You work for me. I won't kill you. Ok?" Tess gave a little nod, still in total shock. The mistress stuck a sharp nail into her flesh a got it dripping with black blood.  She stuck it in Tess' neck and Tess collapsed. "Take her to a room". The mistress smiled. The only thing that could make this more perfect was her tamed coming back. And that's when she heard the explosion.

------------

Edit: Minor grammar and spelling fixes.