Learning the Ropes

"...ake up...!"

"Wake up!"

"It's time to wake up!"

A soft voice continues to ring through my head as I flutter my eyelids open. The events of yesterday begin to flood back into my brain. The fall. Venti. Becoming a princess...it all seemed like a dream. But I knew I wasn't dreaming because I was still in the same bed I fell asleep in last night.

I notice that the voice telling me to wake up has stopped.

Strange.

I sit up on the edge of my bed and stretch my arms out, still feeling a little bit of pain around my back from my graceful landing.

That's when I see her.

Next to my bed was a girl with light purple hair styled into two braids. She wore a uniform similar to Mr. Volkanon's. Her eyes were closed and you could hear her taking small, deep breaths every few seconds. She seemed to be sleeping.

"Hey," I called, standing to approach the girl. "Are you awake?"

There was no response. She wasn't even fazed at all. She continued to sleep in the same position. How in the world was she even sleeping while standing up?!

"Hey!" I called again, a little louder this time. I placed my hand on one of her shoulders and lightly shook her until her eyes slowly pried open. It was hard to tell at first through her half lidded eyes, but they were a copper color. She turned her head around the room, confused as to where she was. It was a little while before she finally made eye contact with me. However, the gaze didn't last long when she squeezed her eyes shut and stretched her arms high above her head.

"Goooood mooorrning..." She yawned, bringing her arms down to rub her eyes. She wasn't fully awake, but she was more alert than she was before.

"Let's see..." The girl mumbled, drooping her copper irises to the floor. "I was sent here to do something..." she rubbed her chin in her hand, creasing her thin eyebrows. "But what was it?"

"Um, excuse me?" I questioned, trying to get the sleepy girl's attention. She gasped as she traced her eyes along my body.

"Oh! I remember now! Mr. Volkanon asked me to wake you!"

She folded her hands in front of her, a smile brightening her face.

"Are you awake?"

Does she not see me standing in front of her right now? Trying to be patient, I nodded my head.

"...Yes."

"Oh good! Good morning! My name is Clorica! I'm a butler in training."

"Nice to meet you, Clorica! My name is Frey."

Clorica's face shifted from cheery to perplexed after my introduction.

"Oh, but Mr. Volkanon said that your name was Arthur."

Oh yeah. That big mix up.

"Um, no. My name is Frey." I corrected. "I'd prefer it if you'd call me that...please."

"Frey." Clorica breathed, testing the name on her tongue. "That name must have a pretty spelling! Oh! I almost forgot!"

Clorica padded over to the bedside table with light footing and retrieved a plate of what appeared to be a slice of apple pie. The smell of fresh apples wafted around as she offered the plate to me.

"This is for you!"

I was suddenly reminded of the fact that I was really hungry. I don't even remember the last time I ate something! I carefully wrapped my fingers around the plate, which was still nice and warm.