Chapter 18

"Are you ready?"

It was the night of the game launch. Ryan had just arrived to pick up Alice. Owen had told her he had to be at the venue early to make sure all is well. And he wasn't going to let her drive all the way to Lily Valley alone. So he sent Ryan to pick her up. The young man looked dapper in his suit. The bleached hair was long gone and not one piercing could be seen.

Alice had been all ready and dressed up since an hour ago. When she woke up this morning she was debating if she should go or not. She didn't want this to be awkward for her and Owen. She didn't want to ruin his night if they had an another argument. But then again, she knew it was too much of a special occasion for Owen to even let an argument get started. She remembered that the event was also the first without Ethan. She had to be there to honor him. She had to be there and be proud that Owen was keeping Ethan's legacy alive. She had to be there to see Owen's result at doing this alone. And as much as she denied it to herself, she had wanted to proud of Owen himself.

Amy had made her get ready hours ago so that she cannot change her mind once she was all dressed up. She had helped her in doing her make-up and did her hair in a simple up-do. Alice was more than grateful. Liam had stayed beside them all the while. Even if he mostly dozing off. He encourages Alice whenever he saw her getting nervous and lost in her doubts. He had even complimented her final look and said that if he was Owen he would forget all about the game launch and just get them room.

Both Liam, in a wheelchair, and Amy stood beside Alice as she opened the door for Ryan. Just like Alice, they were also half expecting that Owen would show up still.

"I'm ready."

Amy helped dress a shrug over Alice's shoulder. "You have fun, okay? It will be fine." Amy was talking about the baby. She touched Alice's bump. "But if anything happens call me and I'll be there in record time. I'm not even going to sleep to make sure I hear the phone if you call. I'll sleep when you wake up tomorrow."

"Yea. Wake up beside my cousin." Liam interrupted.

"Shut up, Liam."

"What? Owen's a man. He's gonna want to rip that dress off of her."

Alice looked at Ryan. She didn't want him to hear what her friends were saying about his boss. Or more like his best friend now. But Ryan only nodded at her, understanding her discomfort and helped her out of the situation. "We should go or we'll be late."

Amy hugged Alice. "Have a good night."

Alice smiled wide enough to concealing the fact she was dreading that night. The reminder of Ethan and the proximity to Owen.

Alice leaned down to Liam. "You'll be fine, right?"

"Be fine? I'm feeling great." Liam interjected with humor to ease Alice's worries. "Just not great enough to travel to Lily Valley with you. Salute my cousin and congratulate him, would you?"

"I will." She hugged Liam as tight as she could. Liam and Amy were supposed to go with her to the game launch. But Liam's health denied that. He was too weak to even stand up.

"Go, now." Liam told her with a light push at her. "Don't leave him waiting." Alice gave him a warning side-glance. "I meant Ryan. Don't leave Ryan waiting." And he winked at her.

With a light sigh, Alice waved at Amy and Liam and walked away with Ryan. Ryan had carried her overnight bag and held open the car door for her like a real gentleman. He was learning a lot from Owen. Owen must be impressed with Ryan's change. He had even bought him the shiny brand new car Ryan was driving.

The ride to the Valley was mostly silent. Both Alice and Ryan didn't know what to say. Until Ryan lowered the stereo's volume and spoke.

"I must agree with your friends. The boss will be stunned. You look wonderful."