A Dream

Floating, All she had ever known was floating. It was a strange reality in which she lived. The place where everything she ever learned was in the back of her mind, and all she saw was darkness. She had known the void since she was born. She felt warm constantly, living in dark silence.

However suddenly she felt something new, vibrations that created a buzzing in her ears. She felt pressure and was thrust in to cold. She slammed into something hard, slowly rising onto her hands and knees. She coughed violently, rejecting the fluid in her lungs, as her senses were assaulted by exposure to the world. Sights and sounds shocked her system however she tried to arise. She was dripping wet and slipped in the liquid by her feet. Slowly she began regaining her balance and looked around. Her eyes hadn't adjusted, so she stared at blinding lights and shadowy figures. Her heart raced, her hands shook, and for a moment she froze. One of the figures had begun to move toward her. She kept her eyes on it as she began to focus. He was a tall, bald, man, he walked toward her an arm outstretched. She felt heat rise in her chest, the feeling of anger erupted within her and she swung her fist at him.

Everything seemed to move slow for her and before her fist could even strike her mark someone whispered the words, "Wake up,"

Rosa sat up in her bed, gasping for breath, she felt the same choking, gagging sensation that she did when she was asleep. She didn't have the luxury of dreams, she was not even granted with nightmares. However she was forced to relive her memories in her sleep, and most recently she had to experience her worst.

Even though this happened night after night Rosa found refuge in the day. She tried to find spaces where she was calm and could just relax. Being in a city, there weren't many places like the one she looked for, but she had one. She had a space where she could be alright, all calm, and she decided to go there.

Getting up carefully she made her way to the bathroom in her small motel room, the quiet cars moving past the window. Her feet stepping lightly on the coarse carpet. And soon stepped onto the tiled floor of the bathroom. She gently touched her fingertips against the sturdy fabric of her uniform, before closing the door.