~2~

"Snap out of it, Mae." 
     Fingers snapped in front of my face, bringing me out of my little trance. The voice had come from my closest friend and roommate, James. To me, J.
"Huh? Sorry. I'm zoned out today."
"I can tell." He plopped onto the couch next to me with a bowl of freshly made popcorn. "You've been staring at a wall instead of your wife, the lovely J-Lo."
     I gave a weak attempt at a laugh and tried to focus in on our movie quickly before he could ask any questions. But, remaining true to his persistent nature, he began to prod.
"Come on Maymee," his annoying nickname for me, "what's eating at you? Is it him?"
"I guess you know me a little too well."
"Babe, he won't find you. The apartment is in my name, you haven't left a paper trail anywhere, and we left hints of you staying in gulf shores. You're safe here."
"I'm just scared to talk to anyone, J. I don't know who is with him, anymore."
"I know, honey. If it makes you feel any better, if any son of a bitch tries to come in here, I've got mace planted everywhere. J always prepares for the crazies." He winks at me and saunters off towards the kitchen.
     His talk made me feel a little better, but in all reality, Devin could overpower me and J at the same things me almost effortlessly. And that makes me never feel safe.