Cerebro Lake

The alarm sounded once again, but nobody there to silence it. The room the clock was in grew louder but nothing was there to hear it. James Watson was already wide awake, dressed, fed and already out the door. He was on his way to the love of his life. He locked his door and started to walk. He loved to walk everywhere. James did not see the point in getting in a car or a bus to just go round the city. He cared for the environment.

Today James was going to propose to his girlfriend. He had been looking forward to this day since he met her, Megan Longbow. He had no doubts about her saying no. He had been planning what he was going to say for years now. He just wanted to find the right moment. He was going to propose at Cerebro Lake. Megan's favourite place. Even James came to love it after he met her. Before that, he thought it was the worst place in the world. She made him see the beauty in the lake and in life. She made him happy. And she was about to make him feel even better. They had arranged to meet at 18:15, at sunset.

James started to walk down Wood Road when he was stopped. His name was called out from an unknown voice, "James", called the voice, "Where you off to?".

"What, who's there?", James replied. He started to worry because he didn't know where this voice was coming from.

"It's me, James, you know me, it's David", the voice told James, "David Sheppard".

"Oh dear, not you again.", muttered James, "David", James shouted back trying not to sound like he didn't care, "how are you today?", James asked.

"Yeah not bad", David told him, "Glad I spotted you. Nearly missed you there Jamie." David said.

"Never call me Jamie again", mumbled James, "Glad you are good", James replied sarcastically, "Look I am in a hurry and I have to dash, right now I mean, so I can't really talk. Maybe later?"

"Well, what are you doing to make you so busy all of a sudden?", replied David angrily, "I thought this was your day off?".

James was starting to get annoyed now, "It is my day off! It is just that I have a very busy schedule today. Now can you just -"

James was suddenly cut off. He realised that Megan had just turned the corner of Wood Road. He had the same feeling that he did when he first met her. The feeling of pure love. The feeling of when your heart rips out of your chest and melts right in front of your eyes. The feeling of all your insides igniting with joy and happiness. The feeling when time grinds to a halt and all you can see is the one you love. But then, all of a sudden, time started again.

"James, James, James. Earth to James, are you there Jamie" called a caring voice from the bottom of the street. It was Megan.

"Hey, you know I hate being called Jamie" cried, James.

"I know", replied Megan, "That's why I called you that. I knew that if I called you that then you would snap out of whatever trance you were in".

"Fine", James told Megan, "Just this time, no more. Anyway, don't we have a special date later?", asked James.

"We do indeed", said Megan, "Six-fifteen at Cerebro Lake. I remember.".

James and Megan exchanged looks of love until they were interrupted by David.

"I thought you were busy James. You just said that two minutes ago. I stood here to witness"

"Are you still here?!", shouted Megan and James in a synchronized fashion. James and Megan never really liked David, they never really knew him. He annoyed them too much before they got to know him. He was surprisingly popular, however. He had a large number of friends and contacts. It seemed like everybody but James and Megan knew him as a friend.