CH 1

"Elves are naturally sinful, wicked creatures born from the Dark. You were born Elves because in a past life you were evil and wicked but if you behave and lead a life, filled with good deeds, then in your future life you will be born a Human and be a child of the Sun, of the Light" the speaker paused for emphasis, making eye contact with several of the members of the crowd before continuing.

"The best path to leading a good life is to work hard, not ask any questions and to do as you're told" the Human dressed in a white and gold robe said before he pointed to the sun "Remember Lord Gwyn is always watching. Praise the Sun!"

The crowd started inching toward as the speaker stepped down from his pedestal and I checked my pockets for the hundred time to make sure I had my work papers. "Papers?" A bored looking guard with a sun tattoo on his forehead wearing a yellow and white uniform said. I took my work pass and identification papers out of my pocket and he looked through them "Where do you work?" he asked even though it was on the paper "In the silver mines" I answered. "Are you loyal to Anor Londo?" he asked "Will you steal any silver ore you find?" "Yes I am loyal, no I won't steal any" I answered.

"Fine, just making sure you weren't part of the Gwrthryfel, those terrorists have become more actively lately" the Human snorted as he gave me a piece of paper which was today's pass "Freedom fighters, pah. We're doing you Elves a favor, we give you people work, bread, homes and this is how they repay us? Fools. I mean is it really that bad to be a slave? I would love to be a slave so I don't have to make any choices as to where I want to live or the process of trying to find work and things like that. You guys are lucky and should be thanking us."

I bit back my tongue and just nodded as I took the stamped ticket he gave me, before walking though the town's gates and jogging down to where a line of wagons waited to transport Elves to various place of work, to the mines or lumber yards or the farming plantations, as Elves weren't allowed to wander alone outside of town. Each wagon had an escort of Humans on horseback, ready to chase down anyone who tried to flee; they also protected the wagons from slavers who would capture Elves and resell them in a different part of the empire.

I showed one of the horseman my stamped pass and he nodded, carefully watching me as I got into the wagon, he finally looked away to continue the conversation he was having as I strapped myself into the wagon since I wasn't a flight risk anymore

-

At the mine I was given a pickaxe and sent inside without a helmet or gloves or anything else. Sun stones, stones that emitted light after laying in sunlight for a while, lit the narrow passages but they were more for the Human foreman's benefit as Elves as great eyesight in dimly light places.

Elves were already inside claiming spots as the amount you were paid, in food, was based on the amount of ore you dug up. I stepped around several fights that were starting because of territory claims until I ended up at the end of one of tunnels; not one of the best spots but my family shouldn't go hungry tonight.

After a while of mining I struck a piece of rock and a large piece broke off, revealing a skeleton inside. I bit back a scream of surprise and then looked around if anyone else had seen anything. Looking closer I found a smooth...something in the chest of the skeleton. It looked like an ember or something, the edges slightly glowed as if still on fire.

I reached inside and pulled it out the object, the rib bones falling apart as I touched them. As I opened my hand to look at the ember it suddenly combusted and a tiny flame appeared, like the flame on a candle. The flame however was dark blood red color rather than the orange-red of a normal flame; I studied at it for a moment before it slowly lifted itself off my hand. I didn't even have a chance to flinch before it rose to chest height and hurled itself at me.

I had no idea what happened and it wasn't until I brought my hand to my chest and felt blood that I realized where it went. From the wound though, a warmth spread instead of pain, followed by an itching sensation; under my fingers I could feel my skin mend itself. I just stood there, completely unsure of what to do until I picked up my pickaxe and continued my work; my family still needed to eat and I couldn't tell that anything was immediately wrong. Everyone so often though I'd bring my hand to my chest where a small pinprick of heat was felt over my heart.