Welcome to Dillon

Driving into the small town of Dillon, Texas was something I never thought I would do. My six year old brother and seven month old sister sleep soundly in the backseat of the car. We are on our own. Both of our parents were killed by a drunk driver in Idaho. My family bought a house here in Dillon so we moved here even though my parents are both dead. They left us enough money to pay for all three of our college tuition' to be doctors. Three children left with millions by their parents. I'm 17 years old, a senior in high school, and a mother figure to my younger siblings. It's been hard taking care of my siblings by myself. My brother understands that our parents aren't coming back. Of course the baby doesn't understand. Driving through the town is interesting. A lot of barbecue places. One diner seemed to be packed with teenagers. Realizing that we haven't eaten today I pull into the parking lot and park the car. I climb out of the SUV and open the back door to my little brother. 

"Parker, wake up." I say quietly.

"No Lauren. I want to sleep." he whines.

"You don't want a cheeseburger?" I ask while slightly poking him.

Almost instantly his eyes shoot open and he is no longer sleeping. I let out a small laugh and go to the other side to get Carly. I grab the diaper bag and then the car seat. Carly slowly opens her eyes as she gets used to the sunlight. I give her a big smile and I get one in return. We go inside to see a lot of teenagers staring at us. Great. I take Parker's hand and lead him to the counter. When we both order our I take out a piece of paper with our address on it. 

"Excuse me. Could you tell me where this is?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's about two miles that way. You'll come to a gravel road take a right and it should be at the top of the hill." he says.

"Great, thank you." I say.

"No problem. Oh here's your order." he says handing me a tray full of food.

"Thank you." I say.

We take our food and go sit down. I set Carly on a chair next to me. Parker begins eating his food and I can tell he really likes it. I eat my food and begin to notice that a lot of people are looking my way. Mainly jocks wearing Letterman jackets. My attention gets back to Parker who has finished his food and looks really sleepy. Carly had fallen asleep again. I finish my food quickly and began to gather all our stuff. Parker grabs my hand and I lead him back to the car. 

"Where are we going now Lauren?" he asks sleepily. 

"We are going to our new home. Then you can take a nap. I promise." I say.

"Okay sissy." he says taking his seat in the car.

I buckle him into the car. Before I shut the door I give him a kiss on his head. Before I climb into the drivers seat I lean against the car and take a deep sigh. Welcome to Dillon.