Who are You?

When I told Parker that we would be going to someone's house for dinner he was so excited. For once we wouldn't be having canned food or mac and cheese. Mrs. Taylor had told me to come around 7 o'clock I made sure everyone had a bath before we went. At around 6:30 I decided that we should leave and make our way over to their house.

Their house wasn't to hard to find. Especially with a sign that said "Coach Taylor Dillon Panthers" on it. It was a nice house. Almost like the one that we lived in before we came here. After I park the car I begin to feel nervous. We need to make a good impression or else we will be labeled as the "Broken Family" from Idaho. That's the last thing we need. Once everyone is out of the car we make it to the front door. Parker insists on knocking on the door, before I can agree he starts banging both of his little fists on the door to the Taylor home. After repeated pounding for 15 seconds I grab Parker and tell him that was probably enough. Two seconds later the door flies open and there stands Mrs. Taylor with a big smile on her face.

"Lauren! So glad you could make it!" she says pulling us inside and giving me a hug.

"Thank you for the invite. This is Parker, and you remember Carly." I say.

"Of course! Here let me take her from you. Come in, come in. My husband should be home soon. Julie my daughter is in her room." she says.

"Okay. Do you need any help with dinner? It smells amazing." I say.

"Aren't you sweet! Thank you but I only have to set the table. You can do that if you'd like." she says.

She goes to the cupboard and grabs plates and bowls. As she walks over to the table I take them from her. While I'm setting the table I realize that there is an extra plate.

"Mrs. Taylor there is an extra plate." I say.

"Oh that one is for one of the football players that kinda lives with us. He should be here later." she says.

I set the plate on the table. By this time Mrs. Taylor had set out forks, knives, and spoons. I take those and place them around the table. Next I take the glasses and put them on each spot at the table. When I'm done I notice that Carly is sound asleep and I tend to keep it that way. Parker is occupied by his toys that he brought. Everyone is happy.

"So how have you been settling in?" Mrs. Taylor asks.

"Good. We went to our house for the first time today and we love it. Although it is very big for just the three of us." I respond.

"How big is the house?" She asks.

"I believe I was told 7,500 square feet." I say.

"Oh my lord. That's pretty big for this small town." she says.

"Both of my parents to were doctors. So they left us enough money to put all three of us through medical school and still have enough left over." I say.

"I did not know that." she responds.

"I try not to brag and or bring it up. I don't want us too seem like snobby rich kids. We are the exact opposite of that." I say.

"I can understand that." she says.

"Yeah, Parker hasn't really gotten the idea that they aren't coming home but I think he is starting too. Of course Carly has no idea what's going on. I guess you could say that I am a teen parent. Carly might call me mom when I'm older and I want her to know who our parents were. I'm sorry for ranting on you." I say.

"Oh sweetie this is my job. I'm always here to listen. I truly mean this, if you ever need anything you can always come to me." she says.

"Thank you." I say.