Chapter I

The sky was darker that day on Feb 31st. I looked outside, by the beachfront,on the porch as I used to do when I was a young child. My older brother Noah and I would sit here all the time and conversate as the sea rushed to shore. Of course, we can't do that anymore, not only is Noah no longer with us but they would see. We can't do anything anymore, not with them around anyway, it's ridiculous. It all started when our family had adopted a dog from the pet kennel, we named it Rocket. Rocket was a Siberian husky which was an odd sight in a place like Oakland California, but we loved him regardless. And it was all fun for a while but, one day Rocket had broken a window in the stealth of the midnight sky. See, Pa, has always been a pessimist and he was convinced that someone had broken into our home, whilst Momma, who was an optimist, assumed Rocket had committed the crime. Pa and Momma argued for a few weeks, but Pa decided to end the bickering and let Momma win the argument. But Pa couldn't rest easy; He had massive amounts of paranoia from the "Break In", so he took it upon himself to install security cameras all around the house. But that was a few years ago, Now the darn thing is busted and an alarm goes off on the slightest movement so we can't even go near the water we would have to walk all the way around the house and folks my age don't have the time for that, as a 36-year-old I simply do not have the time and energy to go around the house, Nevertheless I do not see myself wanting to sit by the ocean anymore it brings back too many memories. That's how Rocket left, you know. I was playing fetch with him on the high tide. I flicked my wrist in the wrong direction and the frisbee flew right into the ocean, (my years of ultimate frisbee have failed me) and of course, Rocket went fearlessly into the water just as a wave came in that went up to my knees and tickled the supports of the house. And when the wave had passed Rocket had vanished. Momma was hollering at me yelling why I had just done that. Rocket loved Momma the most. The sudden disappearance of Rocket didn't even phase me, in fact, it fascinated me seeing a Siberian Husky just vanish from head to toe like that. Left me in an utter awe, Weirdest part was that Rocket was water trained, as any dog who lived by the ocean. After his disappearance, Momma watched the shore for hours as if in any moment his perky little ears with would break through the waving sheet of salt water that covered the ocean, as if at any moment she'd see his snow white paws and centrally silver lined back and that pitch black nose. But this wasn't a fairy tale, Rocket was gone, and there's nothing anybody could do.