Daleks in New York

I woke up with a face full of hair,  and realised that I was still cuddling Rose in the TARDIS. She was still fast asleep, so I just lightly stroked her hair.

She woke up 15 minutes later, puffy eyed and groggy. "What happened?" she asked.

You got upset about Mic--you fell asleep in my arms last night." I replied.

"Well, if I do say so myself, you're quite comfy." She poked my tummy playfully. Standing up, she said "Im going to say bubbuy to Mum. I'll be right back." and skipped out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Im getting a signal......from New York? 2001?" I said, staring at the screen in the TARDIS.

"America...." Rose sighed, "well this should be fun."

The TARDIS landed and, poking my head out the door, my breath caught in my throat. We were in a dark alley, and 3 blocks away, standing tall, were the Twin Towers.

I slowly closed the TARDIS doors, and a severe sadness washed over me.

"Whats wrong Doctor?" Rose asked as she ran to my side.

"We need to find a calendar, or a newspaper or something." I said quickly.

"Why!? Where are we?" She said slightly panicked.

"Why dont you go have a look" I said sadly, gesturing toward the doors "but be prepared."

Rose slowly walked over to the door and just barely pulled it open. "Oh my God...." Tears streaming down her face, she ran into my arms. "

"shhh.... its ok." I said kissing her head "I need to find out what day it is. we might not be here when it happens."

Rose pulled away. "I sure do hope so" she said fixing herself "that wouldnt be very fun. C'mon, lets go see why were here." She pulled me out the door.

Rose and I walked swiftly arm in arm down the sidewalk searching for a newsstand.  When we finally found one I casually walked up and picked up a newspaper, and it was just what I thought, what Rose was worried about. Today was September 9th, 2001. Two days until 9/11.

I showed the paper to Rose, and she hugged my arm so tight it was losing circulation. Her grasp loosened, ans she solemnly thanked the newsman. As we walked away towards lower Manhattan, and the crowd of people lessened, I pulled out my sonic screwdriver to see if it could detect anything. Walking past the City Hall, it went crazy.  Beeping faster and faster as we approach.

"Aha!" I exclaimed,  pulling Rose toward the doors.

"Stop right there! Who are you?" yelled a security guard blocking my way.

I flashed him my psychic paper, "John Smith, a representative for New Hampshire. I have a meeting with the mayor."

"Oh yes, sorry sir" the guard said apologetically,  opening the door.

I flashed Rose a smile as we walked in, "What?" she said looking at me curiously.

"Oh nothing" I lied "just having fun, that's all." I could feel myself blushing. She just laughed and nodded. As we turned the corner, we heard what the Sonic Screwdriver had detected. A Dalek.

"YOU WILL OBEY US. DALEKS ARE SUPREME." It sounded like it was coming from the conference room. Rose and I took off running towards the sound of its voice.

There were three of them, they were in a small circle, the mayor and four office workers trapped in the middle.

They were all deathly white, huddled on the ground cowering. "Please d-dont hurt us, we'll do whatever you want."

"WE WILL NOT HURT YOU UNLESS NECESSARY. YOU WILL COME WITH US. WE REQUIRE SLAVES TO HELP TAKE OVER THE HUMAN RACE." The head Dalek explained.

"Oh I think I can help you with that" I retort, walking into the room.

all three Daleks turned to me. "IT IS THE DOCTOR. EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE."

"Oh. Well thats not very nice" I laughed. Then I turned serious.

"Why are you here?"

"WE HAVE A PLAN TO TAKE OVER THIS CITY."

"By doing wha..." Rose started, but then she stopped. "No. No. You're not going to...."

"YES. WE WILL TAKE OVER WHEN THIS CITY IS AT ITS WEAKEST. TOMORROW WHEN THE TOWERS FALL, WE WILL TAKE POWER."

"Not if I have anything to say about it." I looked at the hostages."Now let them go."

"OR ELSE?" the Dalek challenged. BIG mistake. "Run!" I told the Americans. They scrambled away from the Daleks into the opposite corner of the room.  Once they were out of the way, I looked around. "Everyone, cover your ears now." I said, pulling out. my sonic screwdriver, setting it to the highest audible frequency. I pointed it at the Daleks, and with flash of heat and metal, they exploded.

The Americans ran over to me, cheered and thanked me profusely for saving them.

"What were those things?" the Mayor asked.

"They're called Daleks. They're pests really." Rose answered.

"What did they mean by 'When the city is at its weakest?'" The tall African American man asked.

Rose looked at me, not knowing what to say.

"I dont know." I lied.

With that, we headed back to the TARDIS,  but not without hugging each and every one of them.

Before she got back into the TARDIS, Rose looked at the World Trade Center. "They really were pretty buildings." she said sadly. "Can't we do something?"

"Unfortunately no. This is a fixed point in time. Can't be changed." I said. "Come on. Lets go" I said, and we set off.