>>One<<

~ AJ ~

Typical Saturday working at our local coffee shop included serving lattes and hot chocolates to our regular customers. The coffee shop was small and we only had like four or five customers at a time.
Something about this specific day was different though, the person who walked through the door was not Mrs Anderson - who usually comes in at eleven o'clock on a Saturday - it was a girl.
A girl with long silky light brown hair and pale skin with laughing green eyes.

She smiled at me and sat down alone at a table in a corner. I picked up a mirrored tray and checked my hair before walking over there.

"Hey, what can I get for a pretty girl like yourself?" I attempted flirting, wearing the most flirtatious smirk I could master.

She laughed, an angelic laugh. "Pretty? Me? Well, thank you um?"

"AJ. I'm AJ and you are?"

"Nice to meet you AJ, I'm Levi."

"Levi? Isn't that a boys name?" I said as politely as possible, I didn't want her to think I was some rude jerk.

"Isn't AJ initials?" She smirked.

"Touchè."

"And to answer your question,yes, Levi is a boys name and its strange for a girl to named after a boys name. But all the best people are strange." She spoke with a smile, her voice delicate. She was the flawless description of perfect.

"Ah, I see."

"So, now you know the origin of Levi, what's the story of AJ?"

"You didn't tell me your story, just the descent of your name," I started, intrigued by the girl with the angelic laugh. "And AJ stands for Andy Jones. Call me that and I might spit in your latte." I laughed and she laughed too.

"Might." She emphasized.

I laughed. "So, I am fascinated in your story Miss Levi,"

"Mrs Levi," she corrected. I felt my heart sink, the faultless person is taken by another. "Kidding." She smiles and I feel a flash of relief wash over me.

"Right. So what's your life story?" I said, directing the conversation back in her direction.

"There's not much to tell, actually."

"There must be. I contradict the fact that someone like yourself does not have an interesting tale," I persist, desperate to know more about her.

She stopped and thought for a while before answering. "No judgment?"

"No judgment." I agree.

"Cancer survivor." She said it so casually, like she hadn't won the battle millions of overs failed to attempt. I felt the urge to hug her and comfort her, but my mind decided that it was inappropriate for a stranger to hug another stranger.

"Wow..." was all I could say, and she smiled and tucked a strand of light brown hair behind her ear. "You deserve a hot chocolate. On the house." I gently banged my hand on the table and walked back to the kitchen.

I grabbed a mug from the cabinet and started making the perfect girl the perfect drink.

"I saw that." A guy crept up on me and I jumped and turned around to see Ethan. A colleague and a friend and occasionally a complete and utter ass.

"There was nothing to see." I sighed and went back to making the hot chocolate.

He nudged my shoulder and laughed. "Sure there wasn't." He said as sarcastically as he could. "What's her name?"

"Her name is Levi," I sighed and he looked over my shoulder to stare at Levi.

"Oh yeah, hot chic." He confirmed and I rolled my eyes.

"That's not the compliment you think it is," I say in a sing song voice and he laughs.

"How so?"

"Calling a girl 'hot' is not as much as an honour as calling her 'beautiful'." I explained.

"Whatever dude, but it's true. You've got a good one."

"You are so sexist, girls aren't just toys to your foolish desires." I said. Ethan is my best friend, but his appreciation for women lacks the certain era of sophistication.

He shrugs and pats my back. "Well, good luck on winning her over anyway. I gotta go back to the kitchen but meet at your house when my shifts over?"

"Sure."

I put a tiny umbrella in Levi's drink and go back over to her.

"Your drink, ma'am," I say and place her hot chocolate on the table.

"Misuse of cocktail umbrellas," she laughed and I joined too.

"A thank you would also of been appropriate." I pause for dramatic flair. "I would also allow a kiss on the cheek,"

She smiled and stood up to my level. She wasn't tall, nor exceptionally short. But in no way possible was she average. "Your right. Thank you, AJ." She stood on her tip toes and kissed me on the cheek before sitting back down and sipped her drink.

"No problem," I smiled and walked back to the kitchen.