Prolouge

It was a beautiful, early spring after noon. I had just returned home to Chicago after graduating from Harvard business school. My father was eager about my return and was standing outside of my gate with a large sign welcoming me back to the best city in the world. It was a short moment I would never forget. But I would also never forget what came next. 

My father, he drove me back to his 2 bedroom apartment on the North Side of Chicago. It overlooked the sparkling river that divided my home city, forming my favorite rivalry giving me the crosstown classic. He dropped me off before going to store to get the notorious Chicago deep dish they didn't have in Massachusetts. That's where the story takes a dark turn. 

My dad, he never returned. He was left, facedown in the pizzeria, a bullet pierced in his heart. While he was getting the pizza, he was stuck in the middle of a robbery, a fatal robbery. That was the last time I saw my father. That night, we were supposed to see a Cubs game, specifically the crosstown classic! And that's when I promised my father. I swore on my life that I'd go to every Cub's home game no matter what. There was no way I'd miss it! 

It was my promise to my father, my best friend. The only person to ever remain constant in my life! The only person who ever saw good in me! The only person that wanted me... And I, I wanted to keep that promise. I was going to have that promise become the new constant in my life. And that's exactly what happened... My promise to my father, that took my dad's place in my life. Filled the empty void I had. And it forever will...