Chapter One: Pictures of the Past

Marius Anosov was a very tolerant man. His features were harsh, and gave off a very intimidating aura, but he had a good heart. People tended to shy away from his gaze since thick, angular eyebrows and dark brown eyes that seemed to be nearly black did not make them feel very comfortable. His mouth was often in a straight line, not because of anger or hostility, but because he was always in deep thought. Being the leader of a great organization always burdened him with deep thoughts.

Marius folded his arms and leaned back in his enormous leather chair. What was he to do? The attacks were occurring more frequently now: his people were beginning to live in fear on a daily basis.

Exactly what he had wanted to prevent. Fear within his people's hearts.

He sighed, running his fingers through his dark hair. Running for president of the most important group in the world was something he had always wanted to do. However, he never truly believed he would win the election of 3045.

He closed his eyes and leaned back, remembering the day of victory as if it were yesterday.

His wife, so beautiful, was holding the hand of their fourteen-year-old daughter, who was just as beautiful. He had never loved anyone as much as those two people. They had looked like angels, and their light brown hair flowing in the wind made it possible for him to see them among the thousands of people cheering.

They had both grinned at him, as though he were the most amazing thing they'd ever seen.

"Why must you always look so depressed?" asked a voice from the doorway.

Marius looked up, slightly surprised. His secretary, Elizabeth, made his way toward him with her smart high heels clacking; it was the only sound in the huge office.

She dropped a file on his desk and straightened her plum glasses, which were falling off of her slightly crooked nose. "We have an important matter that needs immediate attention."

"We have many matters that need immediate attention," he replied, picking up the file and scanning the information. His eyes slightly widened, but Elizabeth hadn't noticed. This girl..., he thought silently to himself. However, the urgency in his secretary's voice made him look away from the confidential piece of paper.

"Sir. This one needs immediate attention. Our guards have found a girl within the city walls, one that wasn't passed through our gates."

Raising an eyebrow, the president asked, "She came in illegally? How did she fight off all our security?"

Elizabeth hesitated. "She snuck in. The security wouldn't have even known she entered if not for..."

"If not for what?" demanded Marius. "Does this mean you've caught her?" Was she safe? he thought worriedly.

"Yes," she assured him, "but the guards found her at the city square, and she was..well.."

"Spit it out, Elizabeth!"

"Naked, sir. She was naked. And unconscious," Elizabeth said quickly, "and all over her body, she had strange tattoos of some sort. They were glowing, sir, and her eyes--"

Marius raised a hand to silence her. She obeyed immediately and began to toy with her fingers

His fingers ran over the picture that came with the file. The girl was lying on her stomach, so only her tattooed back was shown. She had cream colored skin that sharply contrasted with her dark, jet black hair that fell in messy curls. Plant debris was stuck in it, and his finger desperately craved to take it out. The young girl was beautiful, and although her eyes were closed, he somehow knew they would be striking. Familiarity washed over him.