Chapter 1

C H A P T E R 1
I threw some marshmallows in the mug of hot chocolate, and handed it over to the customer who'd ordered it. I walked over to the counter, wiping my forehead of sweat. I may work at a café, but it's a much harder job than people may believe. I looked out into the crowd of people sitting comfortably at tables and thought of the new employee who's coming in today. My boss, Mrs. Barrow, told me her name was Jubilee, and she's just moved into town. I've never worked with anyone here since Kaylee, who moved away, worked here—let me just say, she wasn't the best worker here, but she was an understanding friend when she needed to be. I kind of miss her. We were both so clumsy. Now I have to be clumsy all alone. I smiled at the memories of her, as a girl with bright pink hair, and dark purple eyes walked into the café. She walked passed me, and behind the counter. She slipped on an apron, and went into the doors of the kitchen. I followed her, and waved when she noticed. She just looked away, and pulled out some pans used to make cupcakes. Of course, we haven't really had cupcakes on the menu for this place ever since Kaylee left us. I always burned them. Kaylee was amazing at them, I swear she moved to make a career in baking. I walked up beside the girl, and started washing some dishes. After a moments silence, we finally spoke to each other.

"Hello," said the girl, as she grabbed some blue icing out of the refrigerator, and some frozen sugar. "Hi," I responded awkwardly. "Aren't you Jubilee?"
"Yes," she nodded, looking my way. "How did you know that?"
"The boss told me the other day, that'd you'd be coming. She gave me your name in the process."
"I'm guessing you're MoMo, then?"
"Yep," I said as I dried my hands on a towel. "Shouldn't you be attending to customers?" she asked as she concentrated on her cupcakes icing.
"No," I said. "I will once the bell rings."
"The bell?"
"The doors of this place has a bell that rings every time someone enters the café. It was my idea, so I wouldn't have to wait at the counter when I could be doing other productive stuff."

She nodded, and then I heard the bell ring. I smiled as I walked out of the kitchen, and saw my sister walking into the café—Michi. Her purple hair was in a bun, and she seemed to be stuck in thought as she came to sit at the bar. She still looked older than me. She is older than me. "What can I get you today, sis?" I said, clicking a pen over and over. "Hot chocolate, please," she placed her hand over mine that held the pen, forcing me to stop clicking it. I nodded, and went to make her order.

—JUBILEES POV—
Once I finished my cupcakes, I brought them out onto the counter for those to have for no cost. I looked over to MoMo, and watched as she spoke with a meifwa, who was sipping on some hot chocolate. I looked out into the café. MoMo and that girl, who were now giggling and playing around, reminded me of my older brother—Blake. He was a strong guy. We were separated from our parents as kids because of some stupid shadow Lord, who's name I can't bare to say. Then we were separated because of the same reason. It's been years since I've seen him. And I will never see him. He's dead now. He died trying to protect me from the shadow Lord. I want revenge, but I know that I could never defeat that monstrosity. He had turned Blake and I into demons, to be his servants, his slaves . . . but we both strongly resisted his power and ran. But now we're permanently demons—nothing can break this enchantment. But I've gotten used to it. Heck, I've actually gotten to the  point that I like this form of myself. When I snapped back to reality, I watched and listened as two girls started being jerks to MoMo. They had tripped her, and poured a ton of drinks on her. The whole café was laughing, and staring. I saw as MoMo got up and ran into the bathroom, obviously trying to fight back tears. I scrunched up my nose, and ripped my bat-like wings out from my back.

—MOMO'S POV—
I locked bent over the sinks, and looked in the mirror. My eyes were puffy, and my hands wouldn't stop shaking as tears fell onto them. My chest felt tight, and I felt as if I couldn't breathe. At all. I was so embarrassed . . . after a few minutes of gasping, and crying, someone walked into the bathroom. I quickly looked away, avoiding the person, but they put their hand on my shoulder. I recognized Jubilees voice. "Hey," she said softly. "You okay?"

I nodded, but I lied. "Look at me." I turned to look at her. She frowned and hugged me tightly . . . I hugged her tighter. "I'm so sorry that happened," she whispered. "It's not your fault, Jubilee," I said, trying to force myself to stop crying. We separated, and I leaned against the sink, staring down at the floor. "Do you know those girls?" asked Jubilee, frowning.
"Yeah," I answered quietly. "They're old childhood bullies. I haven't seen them in years. Until today."
"Well, they're gone now," she made a reassuring smile. "You can go back out there—"
"No, I can't," I cut her off quickly.
"Why not?"
". . . I . . . I just, can't."
"MoMo," she placed her hand on mine.  "C'mon. It's okay now."
"No it's not," I jerked my hand away, trying not to cry again. "I can't go back out there. You don't understand."
". . . MoMo . . ." her voice was low, but she sounded as if she found something out about me. A secret. A new page in my life. I hate I when people sound like that. I feel violated, and in danger, though, I'm not. "Do you have anxiety?"

I felt my heart stop—but I couldn't lie. So, I just nodded. We were very quiet for a minute, before she grabbed my hand, and lead me to the door. I was about to object, but she spoke too soon. "You can't stay in here forever. Let's go out together, get your stuff, and get you home."
"Home?" I sounded surprised.
"Yeah," she started opening the door. "You deserve to rest. You look tired, anyway."
"I do?"
"Absolutely, positively."

I gave in, and did exactly what she said we'd do. Once I was home, I jumped on my bed, and slept.