Chapter Three - Hard Times

Mike had tried just about everything to rid himself of this feeling. This crush, this infatuation with his friend's girlfriend. This love. Nothing worked, absolutely nothing. When he knew she would be home, not at Chase's, he got drunk. He wasn't proud of it, but if it would make him stop thinking about her, even for a little while, he figured it couldn't be that bad. He would show up to school hungover and mad at everything, until second hour, when he saw those big beautiful eyes and would notice how she always sat by him now. When he was with her, he felt like he was superman, like he could take on the whole fuckin' world and walk away without a scratch as long as she was by his side. 

Today, Friday, game day, he just really was in a bad way. He hadn't even bothered to put his hair up. He walked into the class a few minutes late, Lynn was sitting in the seat behind his, and he couldn't help but notice her reaction to his hair being down. She was blushing, and quickly looked away as her face got progressively redder. Mike smirked a little bit, knowing that at the end of the day, she was just as crazy about him and he was about her. 

"Well someone seems to like my hair." He commented quietly and she shushed him and very lightly slapped his arm. 

Through the hour, Lynn's phone continued to go off and she would check it and get progressively more upset. At one point when Mike turned around, he saw tears in her eyes and could see how hard she was fighting them. 

"Do I need to hurt someone?" He asked quietly, Lynn looked up and in blinking away her tears, one fell, and Mike wasted no time gently wiping it from her cheek. Lynn turned her phone so he could read the messages, Chase was drunk. It was nine in the morning. 

"YOU FUCKING WHORE"

"WHO IS IT? EH? WHO ARE YOU FUCKING?"

"STOP TRYING TO DENY IT YOU SLUT"

"I HATE YOU"

"I BET I KNOW THE REASON YOUR DAD WALKED OUT ON YOU. BECAUSE YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING UGLY ASS GIRL THAT HE FELT TOO SICK BY LOOKING AT YOU TO EVER TRY TO RAISE YOU. FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOM BOTH, BOTH OF YOU ARE UGLY ASS CUNTS. BUT YOU??"

"OH HONEY YOU'RE THE UGLIEST WORTHLESS LITTLE WHORE THIS WORLD HAS TO OFFER"

All of them were from Chase, and Lynn could see Mike growing very angry from reading these. He was breathing hard and his eyes were on fire. He took a slow, deep breath and then looked at Lynn and grabbed her hands, looking her in the eyes. 

"You know.. None of that is true. None of it. He's a piece of shit, alright? He's a drunk, lying piece of shit." He tried to say as calm as he could.

"You're a beautiful girl, Lynn. Stunning. I know you're not a cheater, hell, you've been around me for weeks now and we've never done anything. You're not worthless, you're priceless.. I just. Lynn, you're an amazing girl and you're beautiful and just.. You deserve so much better than him." He spoke quietly, knowing that nobody else could hear him over the roar of the classroom. Only Lynn could hear him. And even through his nice words and the sincerity in his eyes, Lynn started crying, and she wasn't really sure why. 

"You want me to take you to guidance for awhile?" He asked just as quiet, and Lynn nodded, and Mike got up to ask the teacher if they could go, Lynn met him at the door. In the hall he walked with his arm around her, and they stopped in the middle of the hallway so he could just hold her for a little while, continuing to whisper little complements to her. They stayed like that for a minute or two, then they walked to the guidance office and sat on the couch, him comforting her. The counselor wasn't there right now, but that was alright, because Lynn didn't want to talk to her honestly, she only wanted to be with Mike right now. About ten minutes later she started to calm down.