Two

Harsh, toe curling glares seem to be directed towards me as I sing. I grip on tightly to the microphone as the lyrics flow from my mouth and through the speakers.

I look lightly at Harry, who calmly harmonizes with me while strumming at the guitar he recently learned how to play.

Performing a slow song isn't what we usually do, and the soft actions become foreign as we carry on with the song.

I stop my singing and look over the microphone and the stand that holds it before me. Customers of the restaurant stare blankly at me, and I sigh while resting my forehead on the tip of the microphone.

Harry continues singing the song, and his voice sounds strained as he tries to sing without me, even though these notes were written as a duet.

The song ends, and I wait for the small applause that usually erupts from the acute audience within the room. After a few long seconds, it comes, and I feel even more embarrassed than I did before.

I stand up and shamefully walk over to where Caravelle and professor James awaits. Caravelle gives me a soft smile and quickly wraps her arms around my torso. I take in the gesture and pull her close to me.

"You sounded quite nice, Ava. You're voice is beautiful." Professor James attempts to calm me down, but it just leaves me annoyed.

"You're just saying that because you feel obligated to. Don't try to make me feel better. It won't work." I spat, and Professor James looks stunned. Cara lets go of me and looks up, startled.

"I'm being honest, I promise. I don't mean to get on your bad side, Ava, I just want-"

"You already have. And for you, it's Avalon." I give him a cold glare that I try not to regret. Yes, he was just trying to be nice, but his measly compliment wont break this protective barrier I've worked so hard on creating for the past few years.

He just gives me a dismayed smile, showing disappointment. I let out a deep breath and turn around, just when Harry walks up to me.

"Harry, I'm so sorry about that. I just-"

He engulfs me into a hug before I could finish my statement, which melts down the barrier I mentioned before, "It's fine. Don't let it get to you Avie."

Harry's sweet gesture and cute nickname for me manages to warm my heart, and I grin as I hold tighter onto him. If only this boy knew how much he meant to me.

"Thanks, Hammy." I chuckle as he groans.

"That's a horrible nickname." Harry complains. I let out a laugh as response, and Caravelle speaks up.

"Harry Styles. I believe you have something to give to me?" She crosses her arms has we both look to her. Her lengthy brains are rolled over her two shoulders, and she's managed to keep a professional face as she speaks.

"Yes, yes I do. I have it right here." Harry answers, and holds up a gift bag he was holding.

An intense gasp escapes Caravelle and she pulls the bag from Harry's grasp.

"Wait, don't open it yet. It can be a surprise for you later, and you can show your parents!" Harry exclaims, completely clueless as to the fact that we don't have parents.

Caravelle's face falls, and she looks as if she may burst into tears if I don't step in.

"That's sweet, Harry." I pull my sister to my side, and she hugs onto me tightly.

Caravelle is well aware that I haven't told Harry about our past, but Professor James looks upset and slightly offended. Thankfully, he doesn't say anything.