Before

We were happy, Lux and me. Our seven month anniversary had just passed. We celebrated by eating cake and pickles. Her cravings were starting to get weird again. She had been pregnant for six months. Yes, I know. It's early. But we grew up together. We had liked each other before I finally got the balls to ask her out. We were already living together and fucking like nobody's business before we dated. But the problem was that I loved her before she even considered me.

She was beautiful, though. Actually, she wasn't that beautiful. She wasn't actually that pretty to be honest. She had fluffy, blonde hair that she would always put in a low pony tail. She sorta had pointy ears so she always reminded me of an elf. She had a flat chest, but a little but of a butt. Her teeth weren't white and her nose was a but flat at the bridge. But all these things for some reason attracted me. Her imperfections made her her.

She always laughed when someone in a movie died but cried when an animal died. She always told me hated me, but would then feel bad and tell me she loved me. Her favourite colour was dirty white because everyone falls in the dirt sometimes. I never understood that until now. Her favourite food was sushi because she thought it was funny how high the guy must've been to put it all together. Her favourite song was Snaggletooth by Vance Joy because the guy loves the girl for her imperfections. Her favourite smell was eucalyptus because she liked the fact that it smelt clean but came from a dirty place. Her favourite plant was the marijuana leaf because it got such a bad rep even though it's so beautiful. She hated adults, but not babies. She loved dancing but she knew she was god awful at it.

Everything she did, it was so her. So Lux. She made everything about her without trying. She had her own style of doing things. Everyday things that everyone does. Like when she did the dishes, she would do this little dance when she washed them, and this little skip when she put them away. You had to be really paying attention to notice, though. Or when she would drive (which she hardly ever did), she would tap her nails, and only her nails, against the steering wheel. Add to the fact that she was a girl who chewed through "unbreakable" acrylics just to bite at her nails. 

Everything about her just seemed off. But in a  good way. She would stumble in the house and fall in the streets. She would wade in the sand and hop in the water. She would skip up the stairs and saunter down. Everything she did was almost opposite from what everyone else did. She chose to stand out whilst everyone chose to stand in. She was a fighter whilst everyone else was a watcher. 

But her fighting attitude put her in danger, and I wasn't there to save her. I was at work, she was walking home. I was in a safe part of the city, she was in the rough part of the neighbourhood. She was laughing on the phone about something I said. I was smiling at how funny her laugh was. She mumbled a polite excuse me but then she gasped. My smile fell and worry spread across my face. I asked her if everything was okay but she kept quiet. 

I heard a deep voice say something to her and her keep quiet. I asked her where she was, she just responded with heavy breathing. I knew she was thinking. Her silence practically transferred her thoughts to me. I told her not to run. I told her to just be complaint with the man.

She never listens. I heard her try to run, but heard a sound as if she was gasping for breath. I began yelling her name. Everyone in the office were giving me weird looks but I didn't care. I ran to the nearest phone and dialled 911. I told them where to go and hung up. I paid my full attention to Lux. I heard her breathing start to get weaker. I told her to stay with me. I told her she couldn't leave me.