Chapter 4

The narrow hallway was lined with people and music blared over the attempted conversations around me. Julian and I made our way down into the kitchen where I was introduced to his friend, Matt.

"Hey" He yelled over the noise, we stood across from him as he poured himself a drink from a cooler. A dark liquid spilled out into his cup. "Want some?" I shook my head as Matt shrugged and took a sip, stepping back into the hallway and motioning for us to follow. We were led back outside onto a porch that overlooked the ocean. Julian walked over to the railing of the porch, leaning against it.

"So, what happened to Grace?" Matt asked as if I wasn't standing in front of him. I crossed my arms and he stood against the railing, facing the house.

"She cancelled." Julian said

"Again?"

He nodded, "She said she had to do some family thing." I could see Matt shake his head, standing up straighter and looking at me,

"So you brought Arden?" Julian nodded, turning to look at me and smiled. Matt scratched that back of his head, looking from me to Julian. "I need to show you something." Julian looked suspiciously at Matt before remembering I was there.

"What is it?" He asked, Matt only shook his head.

"Nothing, it just seems a little suspicious, don't you think?"

Julian's pained face said it all.

I knew that look.

It was the one my mom wore when my dad left.

He wanted to pretend everything was fine.

"I don't want to be sitting here looking into something that probably doesn't exist," Julian remarked, turning away from Matt. He cleared his throat, ducking his head.

"Julian, we both know what's going on, and we need to fix it."

I inched further away from the two of them, and the conversation that wasn't meant to be head by me.

My hand was on the door when Julian stopped me.

"Arden, wait." Voice was quiet, barely audible over the noise of the party.

"What?" I asked, my voice more aggressive than I meant it to be. Julian didn't seem to notice as he walked over to me.

"Let's go back inside. I think we're done here."

Matt gave us both a pleading look before giving in, following behind us as we made our way inside.

All three of us took a seat on the stairs, blocking anyone from ruining Matt's upstairs rooms in any way.

Julian and Matt mostly talked, occasionally asking me a question before launching back into another conversation. I just watched everyone.

Parties always confused me. There were so many people stuffed in such a little space, and some of that made me feel claustrophobic.

Julian's voice drew me out of my thoughts.

"So, want to get some dinner?" He asked

"My treat," Matt said, leaning forward to get a better view of me.

I shrugged, "sure."

I soon found myself on the way to a dinner in Matt's car, sitting next to Julian in the back seat.

"So, I think it's time we've filled you in on the whole situation, considering you are part of our master plan," Matt's voice had a hint of sarcasm in it, only increasing my worries.

"Umm... master plan?" I asked.

Julian chuckled, "Well, more or less. It's mostly to get back at this jerk who's been making our lives living hell since middle school."

"Who?"

Matt cringed as he said the name "Ryan." before starting his story. "Well, it has kinda been an accumulation of things over time. Starting with our first day of high school."

Matt went on to explain how he and Julian took Ryans spot of the soccer team and then turned him in for cheating on a test, which resulted his suspension, and later another suspension, but this time for harassment. They only did this because, as Matt put it, Ryan was an ass, and had made fun of Julian and Matt for the last five years.

"So, now that we think he's been messing around with Grace, it's time to nip it in the bud."

"And how do we do that?"

"That's what the diners for," Julian replied as we pulled into its parking lot.