The Promise of Forever

July 2011

I drove down the road as I got ready to visit my parents to whom lived thirty minutes outside of Toronto in Brampton; my hometown. It was a sigh of relief to be able to go back home for a few weeks and be able to see some of my friends and family. I made one more turn as I pulled into the driveway. I took the key out of the ignition and walked up the brick-way that led to the entrance of my house. A smile escaped my lips as I opened the front-door. 

“Anybody hooomme?” My voice echoed as I walked down the foyer. 

“Elena!!!” My mother’s voice shrieked as she ran out of the kitchen to greet me with a hug. “I’m so glad you’re here!” 

“Mom, you’re choking me here.” 

She quickly let go and looked up at me “Oh I’m sorry. It’s just that I’m so excited to see you.” 

I chuckled and kissed her on the forehead “I know.” I walked into the kitchen and as soon as I did two girls came running up to me. 

“Elena!!” They both said as I greeted them with one big hug. 

“Cass and Candie! Oh my gosh I’ve missed you guys!” I pulled away and analyzed their faces “You girls have gotten even more beautiful since the last time I’ve seen you.” 

“Well it’s hard to keep the boys away.” Paul said. 

I chuckled “Ah you haven’t changed a bit Paul.” I said as I hugged the big man. 

“And you look beautiful too.” Paul said as he placed his hands on the side of my face. 

“Move aside Paul! Let me see her.” His wife Jackie said as she hugged me. “Hello darling.” 

I smiled “Hi Jackie.” 

I leaned against the kitchen island with my hands draped over Cassidy. “So how’s college been treating you?” Jackie asked as she sipped her lemonade. 

“Good, I just finished my internship up there last week. So now I am just going to hang down here for the next few weeks to catch up with somethings.” 

“Didn’t you come to hang out with us too?” Cassidy said as she looked up at me. 

I smiled and patted her on the head “Of course I did. I love the Seguin family.” 

Oh wait! Did I forget to tell you guys about the Seguins? I guess I did. Anyway the Seguins are my next door neighbors, and we’ve been neighbors ever since I was born. They’re like my second family, Candace and Cassidy are like my little sisters, Jackie and Paul are kind of like the cool uncle and aunt that everyone wished to have. I am close to everyone in their family, well except for one person, to whom I would rather not speak about. 

“We love you too.” Candace said which made me smile. 

“But you should come visit more.” My mother said. 

I nodded “I know but I was really busy with school and work.” 

“Geez. Nineteen years old and already overloaded with work.” Paul added. 

“I know, well it’s called growing up.” 

We all chuckled and that was when my mother said “Why don’t you go unpack and once you’re done grab your swimsuit and meet us out back.” 

“Okay, I’ll see you in a little bit.” 

I walked out to my Dodge Journey and grabbed my luggage before heading upstairs. I opened the door to my bedroom, which looked exactly as it did since I graduated from high school. Light green colored walls, with various ice skating and hockey posters plastered around, and a queen sized bed placed right underneath one of the many windows around my room.