Chapter 2

Thanks for reading on you guys!:)

Biology. The study of how to kill a teenager slowly and painfully. I count every second that passes through this hour long class. I chose the seat right by the door so I could be the first one out because lunch is right after. It's not like I have anywhere to be or anyone to meet, I just hate getting stuck in the crowded hallway. Since the beginning of the year I've eaten alone under the same tree. I take the time to sketch in my notebook. It has the perfect lighting and view of the school yard, yet it's far enough that no one notices I'm there.

Once the bell rang, I made my way toward the spot when I noticed someone already sitting under my tree.

"Um, hello?" I asked with a hint of an attitude. I've sat here for the past three weeks and now he chooses to take my spot? The boy looked up from his book with tired green eyes.

"Hi." He showed a small smile. He looked so lonely, it broke my heart. Almost.

"Um, this is my spot. I've sat here since school started." I said, awkwardly scratching the back of my neck.

"Oh." Is all he said before he gathered his things and stood up. He began to sulk away and I felt this strange thing called emotions. It grossed me the hell out.

"Wait." I closed my eyes and held my hand up. The boy turned around with his book clutched to his chest. "You can stay. I-I mean we can share the spot if you'd like." His smile returned, but much larger than before. I smiled back and patted the spot next to me.

"Thanks." He said sighing, as if he'd been holding his breath. He laid on top of his bag and dove back into his book. We sat silently while I tried to find something to say because I found the situation awkward and uncomfortable, but it was probably just me.

"So...what's your name?" I asked quietly. I didn't know if I wanted him to hear me or not.

"Jeremy. You?" He turned his head slightly, eyes still trained on his book.

"Clarissa."

"I like that name." He faced me smiling. "Are you new?"

"Yeah. Just started here this year."

"How are you liking it?"

"It's...nice." I told him looking towards the school.

"Are you lying to me?" He smiled playfully. I laughed at his assumption nodding.

"It's a bit too small for my liking. I'm used to a big city kind of deal." He nodded at my comment.

"Yeah, I've lived here all my life. I don't think the population has increased for five years." I chuckled at him, his jokes made him easy to talk to. "You think I'm kidding? I'm completely serious."

"How perfect." I flipped to the next clean page in my sketchbook.

"What have you got there?" Jeremy reached for my book taking it before I could protest. He started flipping through the pages, but came to an immediate halt on one. "W-what's this?" He leaned the book towards me so I could see the page.

"Oh, that's the house I live in. It's old, but it's a great drawing piece." I took the book back admiring the shading I did on the picture. I loved the way it turned out, it looked like a realistic black and white photo. "I may complain to my mom about it a lot, but it really is a beautiful house." I looked up to see Jeremy still staring at my drawing. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He shook his head, coming back to earth. "It's just that house belongs to my family."

"Oh, so you're one of the famous Hemmingtons?" I nudge his arm and he let a small smile slip.