41

My brain could not stop reiterating Edward's smile he had thrown upon me. That was not a sneer, it did not look coerced either. He did all of that with such a sincere demeanor; surely it was the first time after years being concealed with a poker face. Sure, it was not the same grin I missed dearly, but it was equally as contagious and poetic.

It was worth a thousand watts or even more—my physics skills were useful after all—to the point where it could power up the entire town in one go.

I pedaled all the way home, my soul felt like it gained wings and soared through the skies without restrictions. I was like a bird breaking free of the cage filled with the horrors of school and the lingering dilemma I had suffered from the previous night. The way his eye softened and brightened, how his frown dissolved made him more delicate than ever and made me swoon like a fangirl.

These moments were all that I've been waiting for. This was the ultimate plan: make Ed feel safe around me. Make him feel like he could vent to me without any issues.

Make him trust me.

My euphoria has now reached beyond a mere description of words. Never in my life did I badly want to squeal right now, hopping up and down, not caring what the public thought of me. That was a truly rare moment that deserved to be treasured at all cost.

My broad grin never ceased as I sauntered with bouncy steps into the living room. Not surprisingly, odd looks from both Mom and Jordan grazed upon me. He lay slouched on the sofa with headphones like usual, but I rather spend my energy mentally dancing than bothering his grouchy demeanor.

"You were all gloomy this morning, and now you look like you just won a lottery," Mom's remark was like a needle popping the balloon consisting of all of my fantasies. "What is this drastic change in mood?"

"W-Well, it's finally the weekend!" I blurted out, my brain surprisingly coming up with some reasonable excuse, although Mom raised her brow quite incredulously. "I was also thinking about making Dad's new salt bread rolls for my friends!"

"Ah yes, they'll be great volunteers. Your dad's preparing the dough tonight once he gets home and bake them in the morning. He said he's planning to do some taste-testing," revealed Mom, as she smacked her fist. "What are you guys doing?"

"Aly and I are going to Lynn's house, and do our biology project together." I didn't know why but I had the need to smile as I folded my hands.

"Oh, Lynn?" Her low side ponytail flipped to the back as she shot her head up. Stars suddenly sparkled with might in her light blue eyes—the same ones I have inherited. "You don't know how happy I am when you're hanging out with them again. They used to come here often, remember?"

I nodded silently—of course I did. I was already imagining our childhood group slouched on my couch, playing DS or cards, sipping the milkshakes Mom had made. The reminders of much I traded Pokemon with Edward or Aly lingered all about.

Mom then rolled her sleeves and arms, snapping me back to reality. She giggled as she suggested, "Next time get all of them to come to the restaurant! I'll cook lots, and I guarantee you, I'm now much better than your father!"

Sure thing, Mom. I laughed and shook my head.

My parents had always given Edward and the gang a lot, and I meant a hella lot of food; ranging from homemade blueberry muffins Dad and I made together for the first time, burgers, chicken bites and so much more. Most of these snacks were targeted towards Aly though, as in their eyes, she was 'the chosen one'... as per Dad's words.

Well, she was the one who first approached me in kindergarten, after all. I would always search for some obscure hiding spots rather than friends, and Aly never failed to discover me in every single one of them.