Purgatory

Lila laughed as she kicked a rock and sent it flying down the street. It was dark, and the moon hung low in the sky, ready to tuck itself into the horizon and sleep another day. Lila liked night time. She felt at home in the empty streets, with random people and animals breaking the silence. She wasn't scared of the dark like so many others, Lila lived in darkness, she felt that she was a part of it. She brushed back the strand of her hair that always managed to escape her bun.  She laughed again and looked upwards towards the stars, the sky was getting lighter as it neared dawn, and the stars glimmered across the velvety smoothness of the heavens. It was a brilliant blue, deeper than the sea, and was starting to become intermingled with fiery reds and oranges. No.. not blue like the sea, she thought, blue like a fire slowly dying. She meandered down the middle of the street and into an alleyway. She chased a little black cat into a dead end, and scooped it up. "Nightmare, we do this every night you dumbass," she pet him and rolled her eyes. He started purring and she let him go, free to do whatever he wanted. Nightmare was a lot like her, rough and tired. That's why he allowed her to catch him, because he knew how alike they were in soul...

Lila started to smile and nod, her friends all telling her it would get better. They didn't understand, no one did. She was hopeless. She loved him with all her heart, and she let him take it when he left. There wasn't any recovering from that. So instead she smiled. She showed them what they wanted to see, and for the most part, no one wanted to see the truth. So she kept acting, hiding her food so it would seem like she ate, smiling at the appropriate times. But Lila was empty, and she didn't care anymore. So she took advantage of that....

Lila flashed back to the present, shaking her head as a single tear traced the curve of her cheek. "Fuck that... I am perfectly fine like this," she said in a hoarse whisper. She bit her lip and continued down the road. There, that one was perfect. She pulled out her coat hanger and bobby pins, and walked up to the beautiful two door '67 RoadRunner, and she proceeded to unlock the car. She hopped in and gripped the steering wheel, flashing a crazy grin. "Oh hell yeah mama needs this," she hotwired the engine and slammed on the gas. She screamed out of pure freedom and adrenaline as she flew expertly down the street. She made her way to the backroads and went even faster. Fuck she loved driving. She sped past the meadows and forests, no one else drove down here because of the lack of civilization. Lila liked it just because of that same reason. She slammed on the brakes, drifting around the corner marking the end of the road, and screamed. Whoever owned this car had not broken in their new brakes yet. Lila saw everything in slow motion. The car starting to tip, slowly spilling over to the ground, Lila heard glass crunching, and suddenly felt tired. Her last thought was of him... maybe he would care about her now...