Part 1

In a land beyond time, there was a town square, and in that town square was a fish cart, and pushing that fish cart was a girl whose eyes were so brown, they seemed an extension of her cart's dark wood. She sold all kinds of fish. Yellow fish, blue fish, fry fish, stew fish. Any fish you desired, all in her little cart.

"Fish for sale!" she would call out, the creaking of her cart's wheels punctuating her words. "Fresh fish!"

Men, women, and children of the town knew her, and gladly traded coins for her fish, for there were none fresher, and none sweeter.

One ominous day—for the sky darkened with fat, grim clouds, causing the townspeople to quicken their steps—a  lanky layabout arrived in town. His clothes were mismatched, some pieces frayed and worn, others new and colorful. He chewed thoughtfully on an apple as his eyes shifted about like a cat eying a flock of birds. The townspeople paid him no mind, bustling about with errands and supplies.

"This seems like a fine town to make some coin," he mumbled to himself, watching the purchase of goods all around him.

He found a comfortable spot between two busy shops, sat down on his tattered cloak, and upended his almost-new hat on the ground. He tossed a coin inside it, and leaned back to compose his pleading face.

When the townspeople continued to pay him no mind, he began to address them. "Please, sir, if you could spare a coin. Miss, my belly is frightfully empty."

Half a day he begged, secretly scoffing at the townspeople who busied themselves sweeping porches and mending roofs. When his belly truly did grumble, he peeked in his hat and found it contained two coins—one of which was his—and a crust of bread. What staunch misers, he thought to himself.

In his mind he began railing at those who passed him. Portly pinchfist, he thought as a round man ambled past. A woman bustled by, two bickering boys in tow. Churlish cheapskate.

His silent diatribe fell way when a creaking cart rambled down the road. "Fish for sale!" a young voice called out. "Fresh fish!"

He watched as the ears of the townspeople perked. Their stern faces lightened as they turned their heads to the girl.

"Yes, yes, some fish is just what we need," said the churlish cheapskate. Her children quietened and bobbed their heads in agreement.

A crowd soon formed around the girl's fish cart, and when they parted some time later, her cart was nearly empty. The layabout had never before seen such a ruckus for fish. It seemed these simpletons knew nothing of the delicacies of pork pies and stuffed pheasant.

An idea formed in his head. If these people are so eager to part with coin for the imagined fancies of fish, then surely I can profit instead of some mere girl. He nodded as a plan began to form.

---

If you're eager to find out what his devious plan is, I'd appreciate a vote before you move on! :)