chapter one~

October 23rd, 2015~

I was lost.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love this little town. I was raised her my entire childhood, but I have absolutely no idea why I'm staying here. This town offers nothing for me. That might sound selfish, but California has so much more to offer.

I've been going to the same coffee shop ever since I learned how to drive. It was like my second home. I knew all of the workers and their lives like the back of my hand. The Rusty Kettle will always be my favorite place to be. Maybe that's why I still reside in this little shore-side town. I can't leave my home.

They were under renovation and just re-opened yesterday, and I'm excited to see all of my friends who work there and have no choice but to serve me in order to provide for themselves. They're probably just paid to be friendly, but I'm going to say we're buds anyway.

When I walked into the small cafe, my buds Sarah and Reggie were at the front counter. Sarah waved to me with a big smile as she was filling someone's cup. Reggie grinned my way with a slight nod while talking to a customer.

"Jodie!" Sarah called from behind the counter. A short, brunette girl walked up to the counter. All I saw was Sarah apologize with an awkward smile. I got in line behind a nice old man before getting to the counter.

"So, what would you like, girl?" Reggie was a fuckboy, and he had the charisma to get any girl he wanted. Not me, though.

"I'd like a vanilla frap with a croissant, as usual." I paid him up front.

"Sure"

Reggie printed out a receipt and handed it to Sarah. He handled the next customer while Sarah got my frap ready.

I walked into the sitting area next to the girl from before, Jodie. She seemed like a nice girl.

When I sat down, she politely waved to me. I waved back out of politeness. Jodie was on her laptop with her coffee balanced on the side. She was typing an email when some bitch sat on the other side of her. I'm sure she didn't mean to be a bitch, but she was.

The woman has at least eight shopping bags, which all almost neatly fit next to her without bothering anyone. One of the bags, however, wobble Jodie's laptop, causing her coffee to spill.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Instead of helping Jodie, the woman wiped off her bags. Jodie was just lucky enough for the coffee to fall towards the woman and not on her laptop.

This is where I came into her life.