Chapter Two

Matilda liked the morning light filling her room, chasing away the blue coldness of the night.  The cars speeding off when the lights turned green outside her window was a pleasent recall that she had finally made a life in the city.  There were no biting bugs and no clicking grasshoppers.  No frilly frocks, no memories and no regrets.  The city suited Matilda just fine.

She rolled over, her eyes still closed.

It suddenly got claustrophobic in her bed.  She slowly opened one eye, a talent she developed very young.  Before she could get focus on Fiona lying next to her, Matilda was confronted with a ear-piercing squeal.

“Happy birthday!  Happy, happy birthday.  Happy birthday, birthday, birthday.  It’s your birthday…!”

Fiona scrambled to her feet and Matilda was bounced on the bed in rhythm to Fiona’s impromptu song. 

Matilda didn’t like to make a big deal about her birthdays, but her best friend claimed the right to.

Fiona’s copper curls bounced over her shoulders as she sprang higher and higher.  Her eyes were always bright and shiny during her giddy moods.  They were Fiona’s superpower, able to change Matilda’s mind with a simple flutter.  Fiona and Matilda were the oddest pair of besties, nothing in common, but they loved each other like sisters.

“What time is it?” Matilda was a little delirious from only three hours of sleep, and all the bouncing.

Fiona dropped to her knees on top of Matilda and grabbed Matilda’s face to look her straight in the eyes.  Fiona was serious, Matilda half believing.  But as always, Fiona snapped out of it the next moment.  

“It’s party time!”  Fiona's sparkling face was pure joy to watch.  She bounced to her feet again. “Party, party, party…!”

Her bouncing rhythm double-timed and Matilda’s breath shook out a desperate “Alright, alright!”

Fiona again became serious, and sat on Matilda’s chest, “You have to promise!”

Matilda raised her eyes to look at her own forehead. Rolling them would just get her into trouble.

“Don’t you dare roll your eyes at me.”

Matilda’s pathetic laugh didn’t support her lie. “I wasn’t!”

Fiona slapped her across the mouth.  That was unexpected, and a little harder than Fiona intended.  

'That was for lying to me.' Fiona scoulded.

The sting resonated through Matilda’s skin but Fiona giggled it off.

“You owe me.  Last time you wrecked everything.  I had a fire breather and everything.  You promise me.  No ditching!”  Fiona’s finger was in Matilda’s face.  Matilda just wanted to bite it off. “I don’t care if you don’t feel like it, its your birthday and you are going to have fun whether you like it or not!”

Matilda’s amusement at those words escaped through her eyes.

Fiona slapped her on the forehead,  “Hey, pay attention!”, but Matilda was still smiling and deserved another slap.  On the third slap Matilda caught Fiona’s wrist.

“Alright, alright, you can stop.”

“You promise me.”

The words were hard to form, but the contentment of her best friend was more important for Matilda than lessons learned.

“I promise.”

Matilda knew that wouldn’t be good enough for Fiona so she mustered up a little more positive volume for her besty.