Chapter Two

You made eye contact with the figure standing behind you, his hair was sticking out in all directions and had a couple of leaves tangled here and there in the mess where he had been caught by the twigs of the trees surrounding you. His bluey green coat had a few snags down the outside of the sleeves.

You instantly recognized him, though it had been many years since you had last laid eyes upon him. His hair was straighter and his eyes were brighter. He wasn't as weedy as you had remembered him and a pair of crooked glasses no longer the adorned his face. The hufflepuff tie that once hung around his neck was now missing.

"Newt?" You asked, not sure if your memory was to be trusted.

"(Y/n), " Newt replied, confirming that he was indeed your childhood friend.

"Bloody hell, I haven't seen you in six years," you said whilst shuffling to your feet causing the sleeping creature in your arms to wake up, angrily hiss and then clamber up so it was sitting on your head. You crossed over to where your old friend was standing, ducking under a mossy branch as you went.

"It's been that long has it?" Newt asked as you nodded. You were practically opposite when you noticed something very different about him.

"My god you've grown, " you said whilst looking up in order to see his face, "we used to be the same height. How comes you got to grow? That's unfair."

Newt bent his knees so that he was now shorter than you. He smiled as he placed the battered suitcase he was carrying down.

"Better?" He asked.

"Much, " you replied. You reached out your hand and began to remove the leaves that were tangled in his hair and let them flutter to the floor. Newt watched the leaves dance through the air and land on the forest floor as you combed your fingers through his hair in an attempt stop it randomly sticking out all over the place. His hair was still as soft as you remembered it being. You retracted your hand, satisfied with what you'd done.

"Can I stand up now? My knees are starting to kill me, " Newt asked.

"No, you've got to stay down there to fuel my self-esteem," you replied, grinning.

Newt pouted and drew himself to his full height. You both made eye contact which caused you both to giggle.

"Could you do something for old times sake?" You asked. He looked at you questioning, his head slightly tilted. You preceded to rummage around in the inside pocket of your coat and pull out a pair of glasses. They were slightly crooked where they had been fixed a couple of times but n the past. You passed them over to Newt who gently took them out of your grasp.

"Could you put them on, please?" You asked politely.

"Are these my old glasses?" He questioned you as he turned the fragile object over in his hand.

"Your spare pair, actually. You gave them to me just in case you lost your normal pair. Which you did quite a lot, " you replied with a small smile.

"And you kept them for all these years?" He asked, inspecting their frame.

"Well I never got a chance to give them back to you. When we were expelled my family... Never mind. Basically I just didn't get the opportunity to give them back to you. Not that it look s like you need them anymore," you replied with a slight giggle.

Newt unfolded the arms and slid the glasses onto his face.

"How do I look?"

"Beautiful."

You both giggled.