5. Wither- The Bitter Truce Saga

"So what are the plants I need to find?" Saoirse finally asked after she realized there was nothing she could do about her new reality

"So what are the plants I need to find?" Saoirse finally asked after she realized there was nothing she could do about her new reality. Fact was, as much as she'd just love to go back home, she saw the rash on her mom's neck and knew she couldn't.

"There are three plants; one is to fight the Wither, the other is to subdue the Shiver and the last is to kill the Swelter."

"Any clue what those may be?" Saoirse asked with hope but the Dryad only shook her head. "Great."

"I will tell you this, you will need to follow your instincts for one, for it is said with each blessing, a gift is bestowed. You are currently in Neodrach territory and it is divided into five territories, governed by the courts."

"The Seelie are of the Ayn Court and the Unseelie are of the Oíche Court, right?" Saoirse asked and both Fallon and the Dryad nodded.

"The Day governs all that which the sun touches. The Night governs all that which the night touches," Fallon added.

"Uh—what?"

"Basically in the Unseelie court, its people are nocturnal or govern by darkness. So it is always dark and cold." Fallon said but looked worried. "If I go into the Unseelie court, I won't be able to leave because I am bond to the Night as soon as I step into the territory. That is why I stay in Neodrach because its neutral and I don't have to bond to the court."

"Mom—what will happen if I leave you by yourself and I take too long?"

"Let's pray you won't be long. Your father isn't suffering the Shiver-- yet. So you should have enough time." The Dryad nodded her agreement.

"What happens if I step into any of those courts? Will I be trapped too?"

"No. You are of both courts and can travel between territory's but..." The Dryad paused thinking for a moment.

"But?"

"You need to keep your hood on at all times."

"Why?"

"Your hair is an indication that you are from both courts, including your eyes. The Unseelie have Blue eyes and the Seelie have yellow. You're completely blended." The Dryad finished and thought a moment longer then smiled wide. "I know!" She whistled a haunting melody and mist grew from her palm and whispered softly to it. She blew the tendrils of vapor away and it went through the wall of the pod structure they were in.

"What was that?"

"Will O'Wisps. They are friends and we can call to them for help as can you now. Your symbol will give you the additional power and protection of the Dryad."

"Additional power," Saoirse whispered. "Does that mean I have other powers?" She looked to Fallon who only nodded.

"I am Unseelie, so I can bring the power of the moon, night, and cold. Your father uses the power of the sun, day, and warmth."

"So I would have both of those," she mused. "How will I learn to do that?"

"Instinct. It will come when you need it. Each Fae has an affinity to a higher calling, but the rules fall into the three categories." The Dryad said but didn't elaborate any further.

"Mé tar éis teacht seancheann ciallmhar." A voice echoed around them and Saoirse looked to the Dryad who only smiled. Before Saoirse's eyes a curtain opened and she realized the reason she was smelling wood was because she was inside the tree. As the new person arrived, the tree grew wider and a seat cushion was provided for the new guest. Saoirse felt her unease rise as the newcomer stood before the tree.

"Saoirse, this is Adeline a powerful mage of the Neodrach territory," the Dryad whispered to her.

"Fallon, so nice to see you again." The mage reached into the tree and went over to hug Fallon tightly.

"It's been too long Adie. How is everything going?" Fallon asked with a beaming smile. Apparently her mother knew this woman.

"Oh you know. After grandmother passed, I had to take over The Circle but its been a tough transition. They didn't want me to be their leader. You know how it goes."

"That I do my friend."

"Cara, you called for me?" Adie looked to the Dryad who only smiled.

"Fallon has brought her daughter, Saoirse"

"You did?" She turned to Fallon, "Where is she?" The Dryad smiled gently to Saoirse.

"It's okay Saoirse. She is a trusted friend." Saoirse felt her unease lift slightly and saw the woman's eyes widened.

"Saoirse, it is so nice to finally meet you. I am sorry if I startled you my dear." The woman had purple eyes, long blond hair nearly to her thighs, with a robe like gown. She was pretty, Saoirse thought but something about her unsettled Saoirse.

"Hello. It is nice to meet you too." Was all Saoirse could say because couldn't shake the feeling off.

"Saoirse, are you okay?" Fallon asked sensing her daughters discomfort.

"It is the talisman," Cara said softly. "She is not used to the power of a mage's magic."

"Oh! I am so sorry." Adie pulled out her wand and whispered a few words Saoirse didn't understand and then​ the feeling was gone. "I forget that our power can be disorienting for someone who has never experienced it before but I must say, your invisibility was incredible."

"Invisibility? How did I do that?" She turned to Cara and she once again gave her a smile that usually said more than what she would say.

"Shadow bending is a Unseelie trait. They can bend the light to hide themselves."

"Okay—but how did I do it?"

"Instinct." Saoirse groaned but didn't say anything further.

"Cara, what did you need from me."

"Aye yes. I need you to make a talisman that will glamour Saoirse to look human."

"That would be a powerful spell and to act human is not easy,"

"As you may realize, Saoirse was raised amongst the humans and will know how to perfectly blend in."

"I understand but her aura screams Fae."

"Yes I will help with the spell and lend the magic of the Dryad to make the talisman stronger. If she leaves as she is, her mixed genes will alert the courts of her presence and you know its forbidden for the courts to intermingle."

"I understand. I will work on it and gather the necessary items. I'll return soon but I must have something that will be be worn on her person at all times. Any ideas?"

"A Dryad Cuff." When Adie looked unconvinced, "It will appear she is the ward of the Dryad and no one will bother her. She can travel the territories and her excuse is sincere."

"Which is what?"

"Finding the cure for the Fae."

"Oh dear Gods." Adie said and then looked to her, "Saoirse there is much for you to learn before your journey and I will like to extend a hand in your search, if you will accept my help?" She asked and Adie looked sincere in wanting to help.

"I will be honored if you'd helped me, thank you."

"Excellent. I'll be back soon." Adie was released from the tree and Cara looked pleased.

"It is all in motion now. It will work out and the God's will finally be appeased." Famous last words was all Saoirse could think but she only gave Cara a small smile.