Volume 1 Chapter 1

In the Katjvarna territory, the four seasons basically don't exist. It's the tropics.

There is no spring nor autumn, and, of course, no winter. There is only the season when the general of summer seriously attacks, and the one when he slightly loosens his hand. One could call half of the Empire's history the history of the fight with this brave general.

Therefore, between the slender and tall trees-- the figure of somebody fast asleep with his body entrusted to a hanging hammock was possibly the form of humanity's triumph against the general of summer.

"Ikta, please wake up, Ikta."

A small, lovable humanoid "something" climbed aboard that someone's chest, which rose and fell with the breathing of his slumber, and shook the body eagerly. A large face and short limbs, a round form, a "light cavity" in his body. That form was undeniably a light spirit, one pillar of the elemental spirits which served as the good partners of humanity.

"...Nnn...what is it, Kusu? Didn't I say I'd sleep through the graduation ceremony?..."

Taking off the hat that shaded his face, the somebody took up the light spirit called Kusu with both hands. He was a black-haired, sleepy-eyed youth. The shirt and navy blue pants worn on his body were unrecognizably misshapen, but it was possible that they were a uniform that in some way matched with the hat.

"So, it ended.""...Hmm?"

While staring up and down at the spirit held in his arms, the sleepy-eyed youth-- Ikta tilted his head.

"If progress was as planned, the Imperial Segal Grand Academy's 131st Term Graduation Ceremony ended just about now, and they should be shifting to the Communal Meal between graduates and guardians. Would it be unwise to have a meal here?"

Hearing that, Ikta casually turned his gaze to the skies, and, indeed, the sun had risen considerably compared to when he looked before he slept.

"Certainly, this is terrible. Let's miss this meal, even though it's free."

Ikta, having sluggishly lowered his body from the hammock and stood on the ground, stretched widely. His back cracked, his sleepy conscious just then awoke, and all at once his hunger and thirst attacked.

"Ugh, I have a headache... light dehydration, I wonder?""It's because you slept a long time in this heat. First, let's stop by a well and replenish our water supply."

Ikta brought the body of Kusu who so advised him to the special pouch he attached to his own hip and snugly stored him there. For the slow-footed spirit, that was the default position during travel.

"Well, shall I endure it just a little? Just for today, since it's a waste to quench our thirst with tepid water."

After quickly retrieving the hammock from the tree trunks, Ikta, even while grimacing from his headache, started running through the inside the forest in high spirits.

"I'm Yahg the physical education instructor, congratulations on your graduation, Miss Igsem. Ah, the High Grade Military Officer Exam is drawing closer before you. I think that you of all people will definitely pass, but don't relax even a little alright?""I receive your advice gratefully, Instructor Yahg. I'm thinking of putting the things I learned here to best use in practice."

After the graduation ceremony, the Academy president's long speech, having calculatingly joined forces with the fierce heat, actually sent eight students out to the medical room. Finally, Yatorishino Igsem of those who moved to the Communal Lunch under the grand pavilion as per the schedule, not being able to dine properly, was savoring the annoyances of being an honor student.