prologue

Raising Grace

prologue

***

Willow Creek, Ohio. That's where I live-- well my mom, my sister, my niece and I that is. My dad was never really in the picture to begin with. When my mom became pregnant with my sister, my dad was really excited, but after my sister Emma was born, he realized that being a parent wasn't really suited for him. He became a workaholic. Going into the office at five and not getting back until nine that night. Even on the week-ends he made up some excuse that he needed to catch up on some stuff.

However, my mom was completely oblivious to this. I mean who could blame her? She had been head over heels for him since they were teenagers. Anyways, two years later he was practically married to his job. Then around mid-December my mom was pregnant again, this time with me. How I managed to be conceived is still a mystery to me, since dad pretty much lived at work.

Skip to October, about a month after I was born, and dad suddenly decided that he wanted out. He said he was sorry and that he couldn't do it anymore-- not that he did anything to begin with. Mom was absolutely devastated. I mean come on, she was married to the guy for six years and in her eyes everything was fine and dandy and then he just comes out of nowhere and says "I can't do this anymore." I mean who does that?

For the next eight years my mom raised us with the help of my godmother, Renee. During those eight years my mother tended to neglect me because she believed that I was the reason that my father had left. Thank god Renee managed to smack some sense into my mother, who finally realized that things with my father hadn't been so perfect, long before I was born.

In those years, my sister and I had grown extremely close. Ever since she was five years old and I was about three, she had become extremely protective of me, when one night my mom had a little too much to drink, and had started yelling at me. My sister stood protectively in front of me and yelled back at mom right before she passed out drunk on the floor. Since then we had become as think as thieves. Nine years later, my sister and I were still as close as ever. We had been through everything together, even my awkward emo phase in seventh grade.

Then came 2013. The year everything changed. Emma had gotten pregnant.

____

Hey guys!!!

sorry it took so long to get this up. School kinda just took over and midterms started so I was mainly focusing on that. The good thing is that I wrote a couple more chapters and I actually really like how this story is coming along!!

until next time xx