Isolated Storm

As The Rain Comes Down

Chapter Six: Isolated Storm

Kei Tsukishima's POV

"Okay guys! It's time for a break." Coach Ukai shouted after blowing his whistle.

Tsukishima cringed at the shrill noise, his body stiffening. He stood slowly, his hand resting on his lower back as if that would ease the pain and soreness from the wooden bench. The starting team, plus Yamaguchi who was filling in for Tsukishima, stopped playing and walked over to the bench where Yachi and Shimizu were passing out water battles and towels. Tsukishima stood in the back and only a few of the players actually looked his way; including Yamaguchi.

Tsukishima's legs felt a little unstable as he stood there watching his team down their waters and wipe the sweat from their foreheads. He wanted to sit down, but the wooden bench wasn't helping his pain. With a low strained sigh Tsukishima scanned the giant gymnasium; for some unknown reason his heart pounded in his chest and he turned his gaze only to lock eyes with Kuroo. The taller man was also wiping his forehead with a towel, but the whole time he did not take his gaze from Tsukishima. The tall blond flinched at the concerned gaze and turned away and walked over to the metal rack that held the now empty water bottles. Picking it up he just walked out of the gym; not even bothering to see if anyone was going to question him.

He felt nauseous, his stomach doing flips as he walked with a slight limp to the outside sinks located under a giant tree not even 10 feet from the gym doors. Setting the metal carrier on the rim, he leaned against the sink. He closed his eyes and tried to breathe; his heart was pounding against his rib cage and he felt completely shaken. He didn't expect to feel this way; thinking that those two days of rest would be good enough for him to pull through the rest of the trip.

"Hey, are you okay Tsukki?" The young blond whipped around to see Kuroo standing in front of him and immediately stood up straight; his brow furrowing in pain from his lower back at the sudden movement.

"Wh-what?" He asked, his voice a little hoarse; his brain hadn't fully comprehended what the Nekoma Captain had said.

"Are you okay? I mean...What happened?" Kuroo came a little closer to the tall teen, but stopped the moment Tsukishima tensed up.

"I-I'm fine." Tsukishima replied, regaining what little composure he could. He didn't really know what to say, his mind had been too numb these past couple hours that he didn't think on what he would tell Kuroo. Said man though wasn't buying it. He knew there was way more to the story then what the blocker was saying.

"Are you sure?" He asked again, hoping maybe this time Tsukishima would answer honestly.

"Yeah, I'm alright...just tired." Tsukishima said, his voice a little strained. He just wanted Kuroo to leave him alone. He turned his eyes away from the Captain, trying to calm himself down. His anxiety was rising from the questions and the way Kuroo's eyes burned into his skin. Kuroo's eyes scanned Tsukishima from head to toe, finally stopping at the youngers wide golden brown eyes.

"Why aren't you telling me the truth?" Kuroo's voice was small and filled with hurt and it ripped at Tsukishima's heart, "I know you are lying Kei! I can see it. The way you limp and those bruises! Why won't you just tell me the truth?!"

Tsukishima flinched and pushed back into the sinks at the rising tone of Kuroo's voice. His legs felt shaky, as if they were made of jello and he was having a hard time maintaining eye contact with the taller teen. Kuroo had taken a step closer, his blood was boiling with thoughts on what could have happened to the blonde and he was just dying to hear the truth so he could do something instead of standing around and watching the other suffer alone.