Effie's Story: A Hunger Games Fanfiction

Chapter One

I woke up thrashing in my bed. The metallic taste of blood lingered in my mouth from where I bit down too hard on my cheek. It was all a dream, I kept telling myself, but no matter how many times I said it, the memory felt so real. I dragged myself out of bed and landed with a thud on the cold, wooden floor. I wiped the sweat off of my forehead and continued to sit up. By the time I was finally standing and functioning, I heard the front door open. I ran out to find my mom and dad walking in to the house together. They nodded in my direction and I nodded back. Without a formal greeting, we both walked in separate directions. My parents are always nervous on reaping day ever since my brother,Thomas, got reaped three years ago. Even though he won, my parents were still terrified that I would be reaped too and not be so lucky. I walked back into my room and dug through my closet trying to find something to wear. I decided on a short light pink dress, black tights, and my black combat boots. I also put on my favorite bead bracelet. Thomas gave it to me before he went into the games. Speaking of Thomas,where is he? He usually comes over to our house for reaping day. Usually, victors let their family live with them in Victor's Village but Thomas was changed during the games. He used to care about me the most out of our family but now he is arrogant and stuck up. He told President Snow he didn't want to live with us because he was too good for us. The bracelet is my only piece of him now. I finished lacing up my boots and walked out into the living room. My parents were already dressed and waiting by the front door. "Are you ready Effie?" They asked me. "More ready then I'll ever be," I mumbled stepping over the threshold.