8: The Girl That Wore A New Dress

6:25 p.m.

He's meant to be here any minute. That's if he managed to find where I live.

I take one last look in the mirror, checking my hair and pulling down on my dress. There's a knock at the door, and I head downstairs. When I open the door, I see Roman dressed in a suit; no tie. His eyes scan my body up and down.

"Well, don't you clean up nice," I greet him.

"You're...wow," he praises me, letting out a sigh. All I'm wearing is a white sleeveless dress, the skirt falls down to just above my knee, and hugs my middle tightly. My hair is french-braided down my back, and I opted for some heavier makeup.

"You just going to stand there, or are you going to be a gentleman and walk me to my car?" I ask, smirking.

He swallows and blinks, and he holds out his arm. "Right this way, pretty girl," he says, trying to act cool. I take his arm as he leads me to his car. He has one of those vintage cars that I probably couldn't remember the name to if I tried. The car is a convertible, but the top is put up.

He opens the door for me and helps me in. As he shuts the door and walks around to the driver's side, I take a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I wring my hands and jump slightly when Roman opens the car door. I look up at him and he smirks at me.

"So," I say, "where are we headed?"

He smirks. "Now if I tell you, that would ruin the surprise," he replies. He looks at the road then looks down at the floor, over at my shoes. "I just hope that you're comfortable in those shoes."

I smile. They're small heels; nothing that isn't too uncomfortable. "I've done more walking in taller heels than these. I think I can handle it."

"Good."

"You better make tonight interesting. You promised, you know."

He looks at me for a moment then turns his eyes back to the road. "Trust me, tonight will be fun," he says.

He drives us to a fancy restaurant downtown. I don't think I've ever been here, and I feel a little under-dressed for it. We get a table towards the back of the restaurant, and we quickly order drinks. I look around. "Okay," I say, breaking the silence at the table, "so a dimly-lit restaurant, a table towards the back, and we're away from all the windows. If you didn't want to be seen with me, then why did you come and pick me up?" I ask.

He looks up from his menu. "You seemed pretty insistent on me taking you out tonight." He pauses a moment. "In fact, you didn't even give me the choice. You told me what I was going to do before I had another chance to ask."

I smile. "Well, I'm sorry that I'm too hideous to be seen with you, Godfrey," I reply jokingly.

"Now if I thought you were hideous, why am I still calling you 'Pretty Girl?'"

"I wondered that myself," I reply with a smirk. The waiter comes to our table and we order our food. He quickly leaves after refilling my drink. "I mean, you obviously know my name. Why use the silly little nickname?"

"I told you. It's a nice name for you."

"Better than my actual name?"

"Hmm...'Zoe' is nice; don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it."

I sigh and look down at my lap, wringing my hands again. I feel his eyes on me, and I nervously mess with my hair a little bit. I look up and meet his eyes, and his face is unreadable. "Can you at least talk to me if you're going to stare at me?" I ask.

He chuckles. "You look good. We're on a date. Am I not allowed to look at my date?"

I keep back my own laughter. "Not when you look like you're ready to murder someone," I reply.