Chapter 2wo

The week of exams went by slowly; like a broken clock. I woke up every morning before my alarm, sweaty and out of breath. My nightmares had gotten worse since the first night that week. Each night I woke up, I would turn on the lights and start to pack for my road trip with Damien. By the end of the week, I had actually gotten pretty excited about our adventurous expedition.

Finally, Friday afternoon had arrived. The final school bell had rung and we were on their way to the school parking lot. It was slick on the charcoal paved surface, and my shoes had very little grip left on the soles. I was walking in sync with Damien and suddenly my right foot hit an ice patch. Down I went and landed on my tailbone.

"Dammit!" I exclaimed, and looked up at Damien while he held out his hand and laughed. I refused his help and grumbled "it's not funny..." under my breath; but I slipped once again on my attempt to be standing vertically. Damien continued laughing in a state of hysteria, but had enough composure to help me off the ground and back on my feet.

"Good thing we aren't taking this trip on foot, huh?" Damien remarked and winked at me playfully. I kept walking and then realized that I didn't know what car to look for. I stopped and Damien walked past me and called behind him, "Car's this way sweetheart!" I sighed and walked frustratedly behind Damien.

Damien stopped abruptly in front of a shiny, maroon, 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 Hardtop Coupe; probably one of the coolest cars I had ever laid eyes on. I let out a breath and out with it came a baffled, "wow..."

Damien smiled at my reaction. "Pretty cool huh?" I nodded and Damien continued. "I've been working on it all week. Waxed her up yesterday; runs like a champ." He said proudly.

He opened the passenger door for me and said "Hop in." I did as I was told and the interior was just as breathtaking as the exterior. The seats were a doeskin tan leather and had maroon thread accents. The steering wheel was a wide, sterling, shiny, silver in which I could see my distorted reflection in. It was absolutely incredible.

Damien reached down in the passenger seat and clicked my seat belt into place. My breath caught in me throat, as Damien had never been this close to me before. I took in a slow breath and tried not to sigh at the masculine smell expelling off of his California tanned skin. I closed my eyes and concentrated intensely on keeping my feelings to myself.

After putting my seatbelt on, Damien turned to face me in the close quarters of the car. "You ready for an adventure, Saw?" I looked into his captivating, dark green eyes,  nodded my head and said quietly "Ready." Damien looked at me and smiled. He stood up straight and closed the passenger door. He walked over to the driver's side and got in. He put the key in the ignition and looked at me one last time. Before hitting the road, he said "On we go." and he put his foot on the gas.

I put my window down and looked out at the beautiful trees that blurred together as they sped past us in the classic muscle car. My dark blonde hair flowed in the wind and I laughed as my hair tickled my face. Damien turned on the radio and began to sing along to Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. I turned to look at him. His eyes were focused on the empty back road as he attempted to sound like Robert Plant.

When Damien glanced over, and caught me staring, he stopped. He turned the music down and asked "What?" with a laugh.

I smiled and laughed. "Nothing; I just didn't know you could sing." For a small fraction of a second, I could've sworn that I saw his cheeks a light pink.

Damien responded quickly, "I don't. Not around people. I used to sing with my mom..." His face then turned sad and I knew to change the subject, so I changed the station and turned it up when a pop song I knew he'd hate came on. I looked at him as I belted out the words to the repetitive racket that could give anybody a headache.