Part 1

ADAM POV

I had just gotten off my shift at the record store and rushed over to Toys'R'Us. My friend Ellie had told me that their final shipment of Princess Poppy Hug Time dolls was coming in today and she would try and hold one back for me. I had been trying to get the doll for almost a month, and now, on December 23rd, I might be able to. It was for my niece Jenny, who had been begging for it for months. Her parents had just gone through a nasty divorce and I knew neither of them had paid much attention to what she wanted, but I had and I promised I would get the doll. I just wanted to see her adorable little smile back on her face for the first time since her parents split. She was only 5....

I rushed into the store and found Ellie restocking the shelves.

"Ellie! Did you get it?!" I asked her, panting having run across the shopping complex.

"Hey Ads! Yeah, I left it behind the till. Let's go make Jenny the happiest little girl." She said, smiling at me as she finished putting the Olaf figurines back on the shelf and started walking to the front of the store. "No, no no!"

"What?" I asked, confused by her exclamation.

"Hailee is at the till and she is selling a Princess Poppy doll. And I know for a fact that the one I left there is THE LAST one is the whole area!" She said, rushing over.

I suddenly realised the importance in the statement and rushed after her, noticing a young brunette at the till and a beautiful blonde standing with her back to me holding her wallet to pay.

"Hails, that one wasn't for sale!" Ellie said.

"I know, I left it here on purpose for a friend?!" Hailee said.

"No, I left it here on purpose...." Ellie said.

"Yeah, there were two when I put it here. I just assumed you sold yours?" Hailee said, wrinkling her forehead.

"Crap! Someone sold one of them!" Ellie said, putting both her hands on her head in despair.

"So.... Can I check my friend out?" Hailee asked, hand poised on the scanner.

"Wait, what's going on?" I asked, having only grasped part of the conversation.

Ellie turned to me.

"I'm so sorry Adam! There must have been some mix up..."Ellie said, her whole face conveying her disappointment and sadness.

As she was speaking, the girl who was buying the toy turned towards me.

"Adam? Adam Wiles?" She said, making me look at her.

There, standing in front of me, was my high school girlfriend Taylor. We hadn't seen each other in 3 years, when I left to study business in New York and she went to Nashville to try and get a music career. A few months before graduating I had been I a dark place and we had gotten in a major fight, leading to our breakup. I was now a year from graduating in music business and she was set to open for some big-name artists having gotten a contract with a smaller new label. That was one thing that we had always had in common, music. She was standing there in dark wash skinny jeans, long brown boots, and a warm burgundy coloured pea coat with a black scarf. She looked amazing.

"Taylor.... Wow! Great to see you!" I said, coming out of my trance.

"You too! Wow, it's been like...3 and a bit years?" She stated in a questioning way, making me nod.

"Sorry to interrupt, but other shoppers are looking at the doll and it's a pretty valuable item right now.... Do you want to pay for this Tay?" the girl at the till, Hailee, asked Taylor.