Death Is Only The Beginning

The firing of a gun rang in my ears like a horrible song. The school corridor was like a battle field. Kids where trying to get away from the shooter. Every time the gun was fired the girls screamed, while the boys ducked behind one of their friends or a nearby object. I, on the other hand couldn't make my legs move, the fear took control of me. My best friend, who clung to my arm for dear life, whimpered softly.

This was supposed to be a normal, boring high school assembly, not a hunting game. People dropped to the floor everywhere. A wound in the leg, bloody gash in the stomach, a bullet in the head. Some students where dead, others where pretending to be dead,  praying that the shooter wouldn't put a bullet in them. Many struggled for another breath, tears in their eyes. 

I heard Lily suck in a breath and in a second she was off running in the direction where the last fired bullet was heard. A scream stopped in my throat, as I saw who she was running to. Lily stumbled into the embrace of her boyfriend, Gary. I was ready to sigh in relief and join them, but the object in Gary's hand stopped me in my tracks. He put his chin on Lily's shoulder, one of his arms going around her waist and the other waving a gun behind her back, smiling at me. Cruelty and sick happiness shining in his brown eyes. 

I opened my mouth to call out a warning to Lily, but Gary shook his head and pointed the gun at the back of Lily's blond head.

"Not a move, sweetheart" He mouthed to me. I should have listened to my gut, when Lily introduced me to Gary four months ago. There was something off with the way he behaved and spoke, but I didn't mention it to Lily, because she loved him.

"Why?" I asked. Gary's hand slipped behind his back, as Lily stepped away from him.

"I think the shooting stopped" She said, wiping the tears that spilled on her cheeks.

"Lily, we need to get out of here" I said slowly, reaching out for her with my hand. Lily stepped in my direction, as Gary's hand shoot out and caught her by her wrist.

"Not so fast, honey" He said, tightening his hold. Lily glanced at him with a questioning look.

"When I met you, I thought you were different, than the other girls.  Oth-" Gary let go of her wrist and stroked the side of her face.

"What are you on about?" Lily interrupted him, sounding confused.

"Shh, let me finish" He answered in a soft voice. I took the opportunity and took slow steps in their direction, as Gary went on with his speech. I placed my hand on the wall for steadiness, as the fear for my friend spread in my legs. Gary took out his gun and pointed it at Lily's forehead.

"Are you scared of death?" He asked, grinning madly. While his eyes where focused at Lily, I decided to my make my move, knowing if I didn't hurry up, she was going to die. I ran in their direction, screaming at the top of my lungs. The sound startled him and he dropped the gun.

"Run!" I shouted at Lily, as she stumbled away from him, loosing her footing momently. She got up quickly, new tears forming in her eyes, as she realised what was happening. I ordered her to run, again. But what about me? I threw myself at Gary, even though I wasn't a match for him. I was too late, he was too fast for me. Grabbing the gun, he pointed it at me and pulled the trigger. A startled gasp escaped from my lips, as the sharp pain spread through my chest. Everything went black, before my knees hit the floor.

***

As my eyes came to focus, I found myself lying on the same spot, as I was when I blacked out. Lily was sitting next to me, her head in her hands, while the schools golden boy, had her arms around her, whispering in her ear. I was ready to ask what the hell she was doing, sitting in the arms of Drew Walker, when something caught my attention. I whipped my head in the direction of the figure and found my self looking at teenage guy staring right at me.

"Well, you took your time" He said in a lazy tone.  The boy was sitting on a table, elbows on his knees, looking bored.

"What do you mean?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Ah! So, you don't know?" He asked, eyebrows raised.  "I just love this part" He mumbled to himself. Jumping off the table, he strolled in my direction. "You're dead, Grace"

So what do you think? We started this story ages ago and were to lazy to carry on. Previously it was much shorter, but this is the improved version. If there are any mistakes, please feel free to point them out, because English isn't our first language and at times it's hard to notice the mistakes. We'll try to upload by the end of the week.