3: try

{ 3: try }

dedicated to kmbell92 for being a wonderful inspiration and for giving this book a chance

_______

As a smile spread across Cedric's face and people rushed over to congratulate him, Oleander was half in shock. No. He couldn't. But there was nothing she could do; he had already put his name in. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Like the Chudley Cannons say. Oleander took a deep breath and tried to smile as the twins came running into the room.

As soon as the two beloved Weasleys came into sight, cheers broke out among the students. They were legends, artists, experts in the field of trickery. Oleander crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at George. "Up to no good, I see?"

He grinned, holding up a vial of what she knew was an aging potion. "You see correctly." He turned to his brother. "Ready, Fred?"

"Ready, George."

"Bottoms up," they said in unison, each taking a swig from their potion.

After a moment, the pair jumped into the circle, past the age line. When nothing happened, everybody cheered. "I wouldn't get your hopes up," muttered Hermione Granger from where she sat near Oleander.

The twins pulled slips of paper from their robes, dropping their names into the Goblet. Oleander put her face in her hands, groaning.

There was a crackling of fire and the smell of smoke, and she raised her head.

The twins' names shot back out of the Goblet, and Hermione gave a cocky smile. Then, Fred and George were blown backwards, outside of the age line, as their potion began to work at an astounding rate. Their hair turned grey and they grew matching beards, and Oleander rolled her eyes and smiled as they began to argue.

She stood up and headed for the exit, deciding that if she wanted to get on McGonagall's good side, she might as well do her Transfiguration homework. Oleander set a course for the library, keeping her head down and walking quickly.

She stopped short as Cedric Diggory came into view, heading back towards the Hufflepuff common room. "Cedric!" she called, waving at him to come over to her. He said goodbye to his friends and approached her with a smile. "Yes?" he replied.

Oleander planted her hands firmly on her hips. "Why did you put your name in that Goblet?" she asked in the same manner a parent would scold a naughty child.

Cedric's face grew serious, and he shrugged. "I don't know." But it seemed to Oleander that he was only reluctant to tell her.

She raised an eyebrow. "Really? You don't know." The girl took a step closer. "Well. I can change that." She stretched up toward his mouth, about to put her lips on his...

"Oleander, no." Cedric put a hand on her shoulder to hold her back. "No," he said again. "There's a reason I don't want to tell you, and you need to respect that. Please," he begged in a softer voice.

Oleander slumped over a little. "Fine. I just...wish you hadn't."

"Why?"

"I don't know."