Chapter 10

Christmas Eve

The birds were chirping and as I slowly opened my eyes the sun glared through my windows. I squinted my eyes and slowly sat up. I slid out of bed and walked over to my full length mirror to examine my body.

Firstly I turned to my side then my front and to the back I peeked over my shoulder. Then I walked into my bathroom and stood on the scale. It read 129 pounds, which was an upgrade from my recent 115.

When I first went to the doctor when I passed out, my weight was 97 pounds, which was way underweight. My phone ringed from my the top of my dresser.

"Hello?"

"Merry Christmas!" Reanna yelled through the phone.

"That's tomorrow." I said chuckling.

I could hear her muffled groans and laughed in response. She's so dramatic.

"How about you try that again tomorrow?" I ask her.

She scoffed, "It looses its sparkle after a while."

I rolled my eyes and told Reanna to come pick me up in an hour. Before, i never really paid attention to how I looked. But now I spent at least ten minutes staring at myself in the mirror. My mother would remind me that I'm beautiful every time she saw me.

Yet, i couldn't bring myself to believe her when she said it. I took it as a habit of hers; to call her child beautiful. I applied a small amount of makeup and took a short shower. After brushing my teeth I walked downstairs.

"Morning mom." I said and sat at the table.

"Good morning Marianna. What do you want for breakfast?" She asked while browsing through the refridgerator.

"Not really hungry."

It wasn't a lie. Last night I had a big dinner, and besides. I had to save my appetite for Christmas Eve's dinner. Then I had to save my appetite for Christmas' dinner.

My mom stared at me before smirking, "I'll make you some oatmeal."

I groaned and leaned back in my chair. "Eating is too much of a hassle mom."

She chuckled. Just as she sat the hot bowl in front of my the door bell ring multiple times. Then a few knocks and more dings.

My mother frowned and when she looked out the peep hole she rolled her eyes. My mom unlocked the door and Reanna burst through with her black side bag and a Santa hat. She plopped down on the seat next to me.

I was now staring at my cooling oatmeal as my mom watching Tv in the living room. Reanna was rapidly texting on her phone. Never faltering and from time to time she would glance at my still hot bowl.

"It's still hot?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

I nodded with a grim expression.

"Put some ice in it." She added casually.

I grimaced playfully. "And when the ice melts, I'll have watery oatmeal."

"Better than hot oatmeal." She replied.

I opened my mouth to reply but instead decided to ignore her. After listening to her advice and placing one ice cube in my oatmeal, my phone rung.

It was an unknown number.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello. Is this.. Marianna?" There was a gruff voice on the other side of the phone.

It was something about the voice that was familiar. It was filled with confusion, and desperation, hopefulness?

"Yes, this is Marianna. Who is this?"

I wondered who it could be asking for me. Maybe it was Chelsea or Sarah? Reanna looked at me questioningly, i shrugged my shoulders.

"It's.. It's me, Marianna." The person said.

I furrowed my eyebrows, not knowing who it was. Reanna leaned in so she could hear the person.

"I don't know who this is." I stated.

"It's me, your dad."

My eyes widened along with Reanna's. My dad, the one who left me and my mom when I was thirteen. I remember everything like it was yesterday.

"D-daddy?" My voice was weak.

My mother heard what I said and hopped up from the sofa to see who I was talking to. She took the phone from my shaking hands and held it to her ear.

"Gerard?" My mother asked in a small voice.

There was silence on the other end. Until finally he spoke again.

"Juliet."

My mother slapped a hand over her mouth to muffle a sob. I glanced over to Reanna with a bewildered expression. My mom fiddled to put the phone on speaker.

"Dad. I thought you were gone?" I squeaked out.

The father I missed for four years, so long without my daddy. I used Reanna's dad as my substitute father for so long and now he was in the hospital. And here my dad is, on the phone, on Christmas eve.

"I- I'm back in town. Do you still live in the same house?" He asked hesitantly.

"Yes." Reanna answered after we didn't.

I glared at Reanna, not completely sure whether or not I wanted to see my dad right now. Ever since he left I wanted to see him again but now that the time had come, i wasn't sure.

"I- I'll come visit." He said.

Panicked, i looked at my mother who had a smile on her face. Then, without thinking, i clicked the end call button on the touch screen. My mother looked at me with pursed lips, then a smile.

"Your father, my husband is coming back."

I felt a bubble in stomach. A bubble of bottled emotions. Reanna sat with a hand to her forehead, probably taking this all in.

"Well let's forget about the water park." She muttered sarcastically.

My mother hopped up to clean. The house was a mess. It's never really been clean since he left. Except for my room, which has always been neat. My mother just gave up on trying. But she wanted to impress him when he got back.

Reanna tapped my shoulder which I rolled off and she smirked.

"Talk to you later! I'll bring another best friend with me to the water park!" She called after walking out the door.

I rolled my eyes and walked upstairs to my bedroom, with my cellphone in the pockets of my baggy jeans. My dietician told me to wear clothing that was my ideal size, that way when it fit I knew I'd accomplished my goal. If it was still loose, I'd need to continue my journey.

So, even thought it was quite weird, i asked Chelsea for her clothing size. She obliged and even let me take a few items from her wardrobe. And She told me once I fit perfectly in them that I always had a spot in her group.

I politely denied her offer.