The Birthday Plans

The Birthday Plans

This was supposed to be a good plan — This was what Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada thought as she paced down the hallway of Shantivan. Shantivan was the name of their home, well it wasn't exactly a tiny house; it was a huge mansion where they lived in a joint family.

Her husband, Arnav Singh Raizada was at his office. Having a multimillionaire husband was a tough job when no one in the house usually behaved like they belonged from the multimillionaire society. One way it had been good for Khushi because she had found it easier to settle down in a family like that.

She herself had belonged from a very moderately earning family who had enough money to have a shed over their head, food for five times a day, a running well known sweet shop, enough money to buy clothes and jewelry as per requirement. Her demands in life had been simple. After completing her education in Lucknow, they had shifted to Delhi.

Things had happened one after another, and she and Payal, her elder sister, had got married in the Raizada family.

Today, her plan was supposed to be the best that could have been there. She had been hoping for it to be the best. Being the daughter of a sweet shop owner, she always had sweets (specifically Jalebis) whenever she was worried.

So she munched on Jalebis and thought about what she could do. It was Anjali's birthday. Anjali was the most important person in Arnav's life — his older sister. After being orphaned when he was fourteen, they had come to stay in Shantivan which was his maternal grandparents place. Both of them used their maternal surname as well.

Anjali had got out from a troubling marriage just over an year back and she was as happy she should have been. Since the family was huge, the members of the family was quite a many.

Other than Arnav and Khushi, there was their adopted son, Aarav. Alongside, there was Arnav's grandma (Nani), his Uncle — though he stayed in USA most of the time for business, his Aunt Manorama (Mami), his cousin brother and his wife, Akash and Payal, there was another cousin of Arnav, NandKishore AKA NK and most importantly, Anjali.

Payal was also Khushi's older sister.

Okay. Back to main topic, Khushi's plan was almost failing and for a record her plans had never ever failed in the past.

"Mom, don't have so many jalebis." The eight year old Aarav said, as he frowned at his mother. Never had the Raizada family made him feel like he didn't belong there. It had been over a year he had joined the family and he was loved; even spoiled a lot by his father.

"Humme aur kuch shujh nahi raha Aarav. Aap jaake homework kijiye."  (I can't think of anything else Aarav. You go and do your homework)

"Maine homework kabka kar kia. Baadi Maa ne karwaya." (I did my homework long ago. Elder mom helped me.) Aarav said, to him Anjali was his Baadi Maa.

"Accha? Aapne karlia? Anjali ji ko wish bhi kar dia?" (Yeah? You did? You wished Anjali too?) Khushi asked with a remorseful expression.

"Haan, mom."

"Haaye Mata Rani, abb main kya karu?" (Oh god! What should I do now?) she exclaimed to herself.

Aarav frowned at his mother once again, sighed and walked away to his own room.

She had planned something, which had turned out to be a fail. For some reason she had woken up late, by then Anjali had already left for the temple and Arnav had also felt for work. The cooking a lot of food idea had flopped. They didn't want to go out for a lunch, and Nani had cooked breakfast. The only thing that was happening that she had ordered lunch from a restaurant. Everything was Anjali's favourite.